Karole Howland, PhD, CCC-SLP
Karole Howland, PhD, CCC-SLP
- SH 548 Introduction to Diagnostic Procedures
- SH 729 School-Age Language Disorders
Scholarly and Practice Interests
My primary research and clinical interests are in the area of oral and written language disorders, particularly dyslexia. I am also interested in the development of both literacy skills and executive control processes in young children, and specialize in the area of autism spectrum disorders, especially at the pre-school level.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Howland, K. (2014). Developing Executive Control Skills in Preschool Children with Language Impairment. SIG 1 Perspectives on Language, Learning and Education, 21, 51-60. doi:10.1044/lle21.2.51
- Howland, K. (2014). Practical strategies to improve reading and language skills in children from Pre-K through high school. 14th Annual Harriet Needleman Conference, Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA.
- Howland K.A. & Liederman, J. (2013). Beyond decoding: Adults with dyslexia have trouble forming unified lexical representations across pseudoword learning episodes. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 56, 1009-1022. doi:10.1044/1092-4388(2012/11-0252)
- Howland, K. (2013). Developing executive control skills in children with language and learning disorders. Speech and Stuttering Institute, Toronto, Canada.
- Howland, K. (2013) Highly effective strategies to help SLPs support students with reading and language deficits: Grades PreK -12. Bureau of Education and Research, Sacramento, CA., Portland, OR., Spokane, WA., Seattle, WA.
- Whitmire, K., Ehren, B., Wallach, Singer, B., Howland, K. (2013). Supporting the achievement of LLD students across grades & content areas. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, Chicago, IL.
- Waters, G., Howland, K., Bertram, J., Caplan, D. (2013). Strategies to improve reading comprehension by assessing & remediating component language skills. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, Chicago, IL.
- Singer, B., Wallach, G., Ehren, B., Brady, C., Howland, K., Whitmire, K (2012). Making practical intervention choices in social studies and science. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, Atlanta, GA.
- Waters, G., Caplan, D., Bertram, J., Michaud, J., Ostrowski, A., Howland, K. (2012). Component reading and listening skills as predictors of performance on high stakes exams in middle and high school. Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, Montreal, Canada.
- Singer, B., Wallach, G., Howland, K., Brady, C. (2011). Language intervention in science and social studies: A panel discussion. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association. San Diego, CA.
- Howland, K., (2011). Strategies to develop reading comprehension in language impaired children. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, San Diego CA.
- Howland, K., (2010). Strategies to develop executive control skills in language-impaired children. American Speech-Language and Hearing Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- Howland, K., (2010). Pseudoword learning: Insight into how dyslexic readers form lexical representations. American Speech-Language and Hearing Association, Philadelphia, PA
- Spoken and Written Pseudoword Learning in Dyslexia: Insight Into How Dyslexic Readers Form Associations Between The Phonological and Orthographic Forms Of Novel Words. International Neuropsychological Society, Atlanta, GA. February, 2009.
- Developing Executive Control Processes in Children with Language and Learning Disorders. Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA. January 2008. Chelmsford Public Schools, Chelmsford, MA. December 2008.
- Executive Control Processes in Young Children. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, Boston, MA November 2007.
- Development of Executive Control Processes. Baldwin Early Learning Center, Boston, MA. May 2007.
- Phonological Awareness and Reading Development in Preschoolers. Baldwin Early Learning Center, Brighton, MA. September 2006.
- Russell, C., Oppenheimer, B., Howland, K. EBP: Bridging the GAP between Classroom and Clinical Practicum. American Speech, Language and Hearing Association Convention. San Diego CA, November 2005.
- The Role of the SLP in the Evaluation and Treatment of Auditory Processing Disorders
- North Shore Children’s Hospital. Salem, MA. August, 2004.
- The Use of Metacognitive Strategies to develop Written Language Skills in School-Age Children. Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Boston, MA. April, 2004.
- Play and Language Development: A Framework for Developing Language Skills in Pre-School Children. Headstart program. Jamaica Plain, MA. November 2003.
- Language Regression and Recovery in Landau-Kleffner Syndrome American Speech, Language and Hearing Association Convention. Atlanta, GA. November, 2002.
Licensing and Certification
- Certificate of Clinical Competence, American Speech Language and Hearing Association (CCC-SLP)
- Massachusetts State License in Speech-Language Pathology
- American Speech, Language and Hearing Association
- International Dyslexia Association
- Baldwin Early Learning Center Governing Board
Awards and Honors
Whitney R. Powers Award for Teaching Excellence, BU College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College, 2011