Jennifer Gottlieb, PhD
- Research Assistant Professor
- CPR: 940 Commonwealth Ave
- (617) 353-3549
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, 2005-2007.
PhD in Clinical Psychology, University of Montana, 2004.
MA in Clinical Psychology, University of Montana, 2001.
BA in Psychology, American University, 1996.
- Website or Lab
- Download CV
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
Psychosocial Interventions for Serious Mental Illness (SMI); Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for Psychosis and Schizophrenia; Psychosocial Treatments for First-Episode Psychosis; Dissemination of CBT for Psychosis using Technology; CBT for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in Vulnerable Populations
- Gottlieb, J.D. CBT for Distress Following Disasters: A Cognitive Restructuring Approach. Two-day Workshop Presented to Faculty and Mental Health Professionals, L’Aquila University, Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry and Psychology, L’Aquila, Italy. February, 2011.
- Gottlieb, J.D. & Mueser, K.T. The Trauma of First Episode Psychosis (“Il Trauma delle Psicosi: Disturbo Post-Traumatico da Stress e Psicosi con Inizio Recente”). Symposium for Attendees of the 15th Italian Congress of Psychopathology (SOPSI), Rome, Italy. February, 2011.
- Gottlieb, J.D. The Computerized CBT for Psychosis Project: Planning, Implementation, and Preliminary Results from a Pilot Study of Individuals with Auditory Hallucinations. Symposium Presented at the Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center Grand Rounds, Lebanon, NH, January, 2011.
- Gottlieb, J.D. and Cather, C. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders: A Full Day Workshop Presented to Psychiatry Residents and other clinical staff, Albany Medical College, Department of Psychiatry, Albany, NY. January, 2011.
- Gottlieb, J.D., Cather, C., Glynn, S., & Mueser, K.T. Individual and Family-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Treatment of First-Episode Psychosis. Half-Day Workshop Presented to Attendees of the Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), San Francisco, CA. November, 2010.
- Gottlieb, J.D. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of PTSD in People with Serious Mental Illness : Two-Day Workshop for Clinical staff and Administration at The Bridge of Central Massachusetts, Worcester, MA. June, 2010.
- Mueser, KT. and Gottlieb, J.D. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Persons with PTSD and Severe Mental Illness. Half-Day Workshop for Attendees of the World Congress of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (WCBCT), Boston, MA. June, 2010.
- Gottlieb, J.D., & Gulledge, A. Biology of Psychiatric Disease and Impact of Psychosocial Treatments. Symposium for Attendees of NARSAD’s Healthy Minds Across America 2010: Discovering Hope Through Science, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, April, 2010.
- Gottlieb, J.D. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of PTSD in People with Schizophrenia: A Two-Day Workshop. Two Day Workshop for Clinicians and Research Staff at the British Red Cross/University of Reading; Reading, United Kingdom. January, 2010.
- Gottlieb, J.D., & Cather, C. Pathways to Care and One-Year Outcomes for Individuals with First-Episode Psychosis. Symposium for Attendees of the Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), New York, NY. November, 2009.
- Goff, D.C., Cather, C. Gottlieb, J.D., Macklin, E. The Potential Role of D-cycloserine Facilitation of CBT in Schizophrenia. The 15th Biennial Winter Workshop in Psychoses, Barcelona, Spain. November, 2009.
- Cather, C., Gottlieb, J.D., Mueser, K.T., Penn, D., and Glynn, S. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders. Half-Day Workshop for Attendees of the Annual Convention of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), New York, NY. November, 2009.
- Gottlieb, J.D. and Cather, C. Introduction to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Treatment of Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders. One-Day Workshop for Clinicians at Saginaw County Community Mental Health Authority, Saginaw, MI. September, 2009.
- Gottlieb, J.D., Mueser, K.T., Rosenberg, S.D., Xie, H., & Wolfe, R.S. Psychotic Depression and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Clinical Characteristics and Response to Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Presented at the Dr. Aaron T. Beck International CBT for Psychosis Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. May, 2009.
- Gottlieb, J.D., Cather, C., Shanahan, M., Creedon, T., Macklin, E.A., & Goff, D.C. D-cycloserine facilitation of cognitive-behavioral therapy for delusions in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 2011; 131(69-74).
- Gottlieb, J.D., Mueser, K.T., & Glynn, S.M. Family therapy for schizophrenia: Co-occurring psychotic and substance use disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session. (Invited article, In Press).
- Mueser, K.T., Gottlieb, J.D., Cather, C., Glynn, S.M., Zarate, R., Smith, L.F., Clark, R.E., & Wolfe, R. Antisocial personality disorder in people with co-occurring severe mental illness and substance use disorders: Clinical, functional and family relationship correlates. Psychosis (In Press).
- Mueser, K.T., Glynn, S.M., Cather, C., Xie, H., Zarate, R., Fox, L., Clark, R.E., Gottlieb, J.D., Wolfe, R., & Feldman, J. A randomized controlled trial of family intervention for co-occurring substance use and severe psychiatric disorders. Schizophrenia Bulletin (In Revise/Resubmit Cycle).
- Lu, W., Yanos, P., Gottlieb, J. D., Duva, S. M., Silverstein, S. M., Xie, H., Rosenberg, S. D., & Mueser, K. T. Using fidelity assessment to train frontline clinicians in the delivery of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for PTSD in persons with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services. (In Press).
- Lu, W., Yanos, P.T., Silverstein, S.M., Mueser, K.T., Rosenberg, S.D., Gottlieb, J.D., Marcello-Duva, S., Kularatne, T., Dove-Williams, S., Paterno, D., Hawthorne-Seraile, D., & Giacobbe, G. Public mental health clients with severe mental illness and probable posttraumatic stress disorder: Trauma exposure and correlates of symptom severity. Journal of Traumatic Stress. (Under Review).
- Gottlieb, J.D., Mueser, K.T., Rosenberg, S.D., Xie, H., & Wolfe, R.S. Psychotic depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and engagement in cognitive-behavioral therapy within an outpatient sample of adults with serious mental illness. Comprehensive Psychiatry 2010; 52: 41-49.
- Gottlieb, J.D., & Mueser, K.T. Clinician competencies in the treatment of schizophrenia. In J.C. Thomas and M. Hersen (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Psychology Competencies. Springer Publishing, 2009.
- Gottlieb, J.D., Fan, X., & Goff, D.C. Rating scales in schizophrenia. In L. Baer and M. Blais (Eds). Handbook of Clinical Rating Scales and Assessment in Psychiatry and Mental Health. Humana Press, 2008.
- Gottlieb, J.D. & Mueser, K.T. Empirically-supported adjunctive treatments for schizophrenia. In W. O’Donohue & N. Cummings (Eds.), Evidence-based adjunctive treatments. Amsterdam: Elsevier, Inc., 2008.
- Goff, D.C., Cather, C., Gottlieb, J.D., Evins, A.E., Walsh, J., Raeke, L., Otto, M.W., Shoenfeld, D., & Green, M.F. Once-weekly D-Cycloserine effects on negative symptoms and cognition in schizophrenia: An exploratory study. Schizophrenia Research 2008; 106: 320-327.
- Gottlieb, J.D., & Evins, A.E. Nicotine dependence treatment for smokers with schizophrenia: A practical guide for clinicians. Current Psychiatry 2007; 6: 65-77.
- Granholm, E., McQuaid, J.R., Simjee McClure, F., Link, P.M., Perivoliotis, D., Gottlieb, J.D., Patterson, T., Jeste, D.V. Randomized clinical trial of Cognitive Behavioral Social Skills Training for middle-aged and older people with schizophrenia: 12-Month follow-up. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2007; 68: 730-737.
- Granholm, E., Auslander, L.A., Gottlieb, J.D., McQuaid, J.R., Simjee McClure, F. Therapeutic factors contributing to change in Cognitive-Behavioral group therapy for older persons with schizophrenia. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy 2006; 36: 31-41.
- Gottlieb, J.D., Pryzgoda, J., Schuldberg, D., Neal, A.C. Generalization of skills through the addition of individualized coaching: Development and evaluation of a Social Skills Training Program in a rural setting. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice 2005; 12: 324-338.
Ad Hoc Reviewer for the following scientific journals :
- Schizophrenia Bulletin
- Journal of Dual Diagnosis
- Clinical Case Studies
- Behaviour Research and Therapy
- Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Journal of Mental Health
- 2009 – Present International Early Psychosis Association (IEPA)
- 2005 – Present Aaron T. Beck International CBT for Psychosis Clinical Research Group
- 2003 – Present Schizophrenia Special Interest Group, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- 2001 – Present Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- 1999 – Present American Psychological Association (APA)
Recent Grant Activity
- “Internet-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Schizophrenia: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial Computer-Based Program for Auditory Hallucinations”
NARSAD/Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Young Investigator Award
1/01/10 – 12/31/13
- Recovery After an Initial Schizophrenia Episode (RAISE)”
NIH Contract HHSN271200900019C; PI: John Kane, M.D.
7/13/09 – 7/12/14
- “Internet-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Schizophrenia: A Pilot
Randomized Controlled Trial Computer-Based Program for Paranoid Ideation”
Gary Tucker Junior Investigator Award, Dartmouth Medical School
- “Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Persons with Serious Mental Illness”
NIH R01 MH064662; PI: Kim Mueser, Ph.D.
8/01/07 – 7/31/12
- “D-cycloserine Augmentation of Brief Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Delusions”
Livingston Fellowship, Harvard Medical School
7/01/07 – 6/30/09
Awards and Honors
- Anita F. and Robert C. Mitchell Memorial Investigator Award, 2009
NARSAD/ Brain and Behavior Foundation Research Partners Program: Internet-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Schizophrenia: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial Computer-Based Program for Auditory Hallucinations
- Psychology in the Public Interest Division 18 Research Award, 2003
American Psychological Association, Honorable Mention: Social Skills Training for Schizophrenia Pilot Program in Rural MT
- Greenberger Research Award, 2002 and 2003
University of Montana
- Bertha Morton Research Award, 2001
University of Montana
- Graduate with Honors, 1996
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Health Services Provider, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2007 to Present, License #: MA PSY 8681