- Education:BA, Colorado State University
MS, Northeastern University
AuD University of Florida
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Aural habilitation and rehabilitation, hearing loss prevention
- HP 151 Introduction to the Health Professions Survey of the roles and functions of the health and rehabilitation disciplines, including athletic training, exercise science, communication disorders, human physiology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and rehabilitation counseling. Examination of the relationships within interdisciplinary teams and between health care providers and consumers. Introduction to the health care system; its place and impact on society.
- SH 542 Aural Rehabilitation Undergraduate course. Theory and techniques of audiologic rehabilitation of individuals with hearing loss. Covers current case management strategies across clients of all ages.
- SH 748 Hearing Practicum I Required course for MS degree students in speech-language pathology; students conduct hearing screenings in Boston area schools.
- SH 752 Hearing Practicum II Required course for MS degree students in speech-language pathology; capstone course focusing on aural rehabilitation skills for speech-language pathologists.
- SH 710 Cochlear Implants in Aural Habilitation and Rehabilitation Elective course for MS degree students in speech-language pathology who have an interest in working with children and adults with cochlear implants, and for practicing speech language pathologists who wish to update their knowledge.
Scholarship – Recent Publications
- Ronan, D., Dix, A., Shah, P. and Braida, L. (2004). Integration across frequency bands for consonant identification. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 1749-1762.
- Dix, A., Redden, R., and Barsukov, V. (2002). If it sounds “Delicious” it might be too loud. Audiology Today, Vol 14, No. 4 (pp 18-19).
Scholarship – Recent Presentations
- iPod Outputs and Listening Behaviors. American Speech-Language Hearing Association National Convention, Miami Beach, FL, November 2006
- Faculty advisor for the Boston University chapter of the National Students of Speech, Language, Hearing Association (NSSLHA): 1999-present.
- Member of the Institutional Review Board for Sensimetrics Corporation, Somerville, MA
Licenses and Certifications
- A.S.H.A. Certificate of Clinical Competency in Audiology
- State of Massachusetts, Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology