How to Lock Your Computer
For security reasons, SAR IT recommends that all Windows and Mac computers be set to automatically lock the screen after no more than 15 minutes of inactivity.
Instructions for Windows Computers:
- Right-click the desktop, and then select Personalize.
- The Personalization window will be open. Select Screen Saver.
- In the “Wait:” field, set the amount of time to a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Check On resume, display logon screen.
- Click OK. From now on, when the screen saver comes on, your workstation will be locked.
Instructions for Macintosh Computers:
- Open System Preferences and click Security.
- In General Tab, select “Require password immediately after sleep or screen saver begins.”
- Click Show All button then choose Desktop & Screen Saver, and move “Start screen saver:” slider to 15 or less.
- Quit System Preferences.
- From now on, when the screen saver comes on, your workstation will be locked.