How to Set Up a Network Printer on a Windows Computer
For BU-owned computers that use Windows 7 or 10:
- Open the Start Menu and paste this in the text box: \\ist-uprint.bu.edu and hit enter
- When the list of printers appears, in the upper right search box, type: sar- and hit enter
- Find the printer you want by room number and double click on it to install the driver. (For example, if you want the OT copier, double click on “SAR-555-OT-Copier”)
For personal computers that use Windows 7 or 10:
- Connect to the VPN (instructions)
- Right click on an empty part of your desktop
- Choose New->Shortcut from the list
- In the box, type: \\ist-uprint.bu.edu
- Click Next, then Finish
- You should now have a shortcut on your desktop to the server.
- Double click on that shortcut. A login box usually appears (be patient, it might take 3 minutes when offcampus).
- When you log on, use:
login: AD\<your BU user name> (i.e. ad\jdoe )
password: <your BU Kerberos password>
- If successful, you will see a list of printers pop up. Follow steps 2 and 3 above (in “For BU-owned computers…”) to install your printer.
- Note: so far, these steps tell you how to install your printer. Once you have it installed, and you’ve logged off or restarted your computer, this is how you print:
- Connect to the VPN
- Double click on your shortcut to ist-uprint
- When the printer box pop up, ignore it. Just close the box and print as you normally would (in Word, Excel, etc.) The only reason you need to click on the shortcut is to authenticate to the print server. After you do this once, you can print normally until you log off your computer. When you next log in, you will have to authenticate again.
To Make the Copier/Printer your Default Printer in Windows 7 or 10:
- Open the Start Menu, and choose Devices and Printers
- Right-click on the printer you want to be the default printer and select Set as Default Printer
- Close the Devices and Printers window
If you have any problems, please email email@example.com for help.