Assistantships & Work-Study

Teaching/Research and Graduate Study Assistantships

Two types of assistantships are awarded to students directly from their academic departments: teaching/research assistantships and graduate study assistantships. The awards are paid as salary, and amounts vary with the number of hours employed and type of service performed. If you are interested in applying, email your program director detailing your areas of interest and expertise.

Resident Assistantships

Resident assistantships are available in housing facilities at BU and other schools nearby. Compensation usually includes your room and may include meals and living expenses. Get more information on available assistantships at the Dean of Students website or by contacting Residential Education at 617-353-3540 or via email at

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program helps find employment for students who demonstrate financial need (as determined by FAFSA) and are registered for a minimum of 6 credits per semester. Jobs may be available for eligible students in the University and at off-campus nonprofit agencies.

You can apply for work-study when you submit your Application for Financial Assistance.

Summer Work-Study
To apply for summer work-study funds, download the Sargent College Graduate Summer Work-Study Application or pick up an application form in the Graduate Financial Aid Office (Room 217). These forms are available each year at the end of January.