You are eligible to apply to the BS/MPH program in the second semester of your sophomore year or first semester of your junior year. Please note that students who transfer into BU from other colleges or universities must complete one full semester at BU before applying to the BS/MPH. All students may enroll in courses at BU School of Public Health prior to applying to the combined program.
Sargent College sophomores and juniors who wish to apply to the BS/MPH program must first complete the Sargent College BS/MPH Application Approval form and meet with the Sargent College BS/MPH faculty advisor. Only then can a student initiate an application to the School of Public Health in SOPHAS, the centralized application service for the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH). Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.2.
Application deadlines and decision dates are as follows:
|Year of Student||Apply By||Transcript Submitted||Decision By|
|Second semester sophomores||April 1||No later than June 1||July 1|
|First Semester Juniors||October 15||October 15*||December 5|
*In rare cases the committee will also request fall grades to make a final decision.
How To Apply
Application to the BS/MPH program consists of:
- a completed Sargent College BS/MPH Application Approval Form, signed by the Sargent College BS/MPH faculty advisor, submitted to the Admissions Office at the School of Public Health
- a SOPHAS application to Boston University School of Public Health
- an official Boston University undergraduate transcript, submitted directly to SOPHAS; see chart above for submission schedule
- the SOPHAS essay should include evidence that you are currently able to demonstrate a thoughtful interest in the field of public health through experiences in related settings
- three letters of reference, including at least two from faculty members at Boston University specifically addressing your capacity to do graduate-level work
Your application will be reviewed by the SPH Director of Undergraduate Programs in collaboration with the Admissions Committee at SPH. If you are accepted into the BS/MPH program, you must send a written confirmation of your intention to join the program to the Director of Admissions at the School of Public Health within ten business days of receiving an offer of admission. If you have declared a minor in public health at Sargent College, you must undeclare the minor to enter this program.
If you are not accepted into the BS/MPH program, you may apply for entrance to the MPH program during your senior year. At that time, you can meet with the Sargent Student Records staff and the School of Public Health Registrar’s Office staff to determine which of your completed SPH classes may count towards an MPH degree.
Requirements And Review Prior To Matriculation To The School of Public Health
Before entering the BU School of Public Health for your final year of study, you are required to meet certain academic standards:
- the GPA graduation requirement and other degree requirements for your major at Sargent College
- a grade of B- or better in all SPH courses in which you enrolled as an undergraduate
- a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in all SPH courses
Students who achieve less than a B- in any SPH courses will be subject to dismissal from the dual degree program and must petition the SPH Associate Dean for Education and the Associate Dean for Students for permission to remain in the program.
When you have completed your BS degree, your academic record will undergo a review by the SPH Associate Dean for Students and the Assistant Dean for Education. They will make a final determination regarding full transition to the School of Public Health. This review may be referred to the SPH Admissions Committee by the Associate Dean for Students.
Student Checklist For The BS/MPH Program
- Meet with Sargent College Faculty in the fall of sophomore year to discuss application to BS/MPH Program
- Complete required Sargent College BS/MPH Application Approval Form, have the form signed by the Sargent College BS/MPH faculty advisor and submit form to the Admissions Office at the School of Public Health
- Submit completed application through SOPHAS services by April 1 of sophomore year or October 15 of junior year
- Request an official BU transcript be sent to the SPH Admissions Office at end of semester in which you applied
- If accepted, undeclare minor in public health
- If accepted, schedule a meeting with the SPH Registrar’s Office
For detailed information and application materials, please contact Dr. Eileen O’Keefe, BU College of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College.