Missions, Goals & Measurable Outcomes
The Graduate Nutrition Program at Boston University Sargent College is a leader and innovator in graduate education. Our program is designed to prepare individuals for leadership roles in the nutrition field and to promote excellence, growth, innovation, and creativity in all areas of nutrition practice. The Master of Science Program in Nutrition and Dietetic Internship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 200, Chicago, IL, 60606-6995, 312-899-0400 and guided by the Mission Statement, Goals, and Measurable Outcomes stated below.
Our mission statement is to create and maintain a learning environment that fosters critical thinking, the acquisition of knowledge, and the development of ongoing professional skills that are necessary for our graduates to become superior dietetic health professionals. The knowledge acquired and the professional skills developed during the program are the foundation for becoming superior dietetic health professionals.
Goals and Measurable Outcomes
The curriculum is guided by the two goals and seven measurable outcomes of our program:
Goal #1: To prepare graduates to be competent entry-level dietitians.
Measurable Outcomes for Goal #1:
- At least 80 percent of graduates of the MS/DI program will achieve a first-time passing grade on the ADA registration exam within three years of completing the program.
- At least 80 percent of the students in the MS/DI program will achieve a satisfactory (at least an average rating of 2.5) rating from preceptors for all rotations in their internship.
- At least 80 percent of students in MS/DI program will complete it within 3 years of starting the program.
- Each year, at least 10 percent of those employers who hire our graduates will be surveyed. Of those surveyed, at least 80 percent of graduates will be found to possess satisfactory entry-level skills.
- At least 80 percent of the program’s graduates either have secured employment or gone on to further their education within one year of completion of the program.
Goal #2: To promote and encourage post-graduation professional development for our students.
Measurable Outcomes for Goal #2:
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program who return surveys will maintain their RD status five years after graduation.
- Five years after completion of the program, at least 50 percent of the graduates who returned surveys will demonstrate involvement in professional activities.