Mission, Goals & Measurable Objectives
The graduate nutrition programs at Boston University Sargent College are built upon a solid foundation of leadership and innovation in graduate education. Our programs are designed to prepare our students for leadership roles in the field and to promote excellence, growth, innovation, and creativity in all areas of dietetics and nutrition practice. The Didactic Program in Dietetics/Master of Science + Dietetic Internship and the Master of Science + Dietetic Internship programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 200, Chicago, IL, 60606-6995, 312-899-0400 and guided by the Mission Statement, Goals, and Measurable Objectives stated below.
The BU MS/DI mission is to establish an environment that promotes the acquisition of knowledge, critical thinking, and effective communication to prepare students to become entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists.
Goals and Measurable Objectives
The curriculum is guided by two goals and seven measurable objectives:
Goal #1: To prepare graduates to be competent entry-level Registered Dietitian Nutritionists
Measurable Objectives for Goal #1
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program will take the CDR Credentialing exam for RDNs within 12 months of program completion.
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program will pass the CDR credentialing exam within one year of completing the program.
- At least 80 percent of the students in the MS/DI program will achieve a satisfactory (at least an average rating of 2.5) rating from preceptors for all rotations in their internship.
- The MS/DI Program will maintain an 80 percent or higher completion rate with 150 percent of the program’s length, which is 24.5 months.
- Each year, at least 10 percent of those employers who hire our graduates will be surveyed. Of those surveyed, at least 80 percent of graduates will be found to possess satisfactory entry level skills.
- At least 80 percent of the program’s graduates either have secured employment or gone on to further their education within one year of completion of the program.
Goal #2: To promote and encourage post-graduate professional development for our students
Measurable Objectives for Goal #2
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program who return surveys will maintain their RD status five years after graduation.
- Five years after completion of the program, at least 50 percent of the graduates who returned surveys will demonstrate involvement in professional activities.