Missions, Goals & Measurable Objectives
The Graduate Nutrition Program at Boston University Sargent College is a leader and innovator in graduate education. Our program is designed to prepare individuals for leadership roles in the nutrition field and to promote excellence, growth, innovation, and creativity in all areas of nutrition practice. The Master of Science Program in Nutrition and Dietetic Internship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 200, Chicago, IL, 60606-6995, 312-899-0400 and guided by the Mission Statement, Goals, and Measurable Objectives stated below.
Our mission is to establish an environment that promotes the acquisition of knowledge, critical thinking, effective communication, and a commitment to lifelong learning.
Goals and Measurable Objectives
The curriculum is guided by the two goals and seven measurable objectives of our program:
Goal #1: To prepare graduates to be competent entry-level dietitians.
Measurable Objectives for Goal #1:
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program will take the CDR Credentialing exam within 12 months of program completion.
- At least 80 percent of the graduates, over a five-year period of completing the MS/DI program, will pass the CDR credentialing exam within one year of following first attempt of completing the program.
- At least 80 percent of the students in the MS/DI program will achieve a satisfactory (at least an average rating of 2.5) rating from preceptors for all rotations in their internship.
- The MS/DI Program will maintain an 80 percent or higher completion rate with 150% of the program’s length, which is 15.5 months.
- Each year, at least 10 percent of those employers who hire our graduates will be surveyed. Of those surveyed, at least 80 percent of graduates will be found to possess satisfactory entry level skills.
- At least 80 percent of the program’s graduates either have secured employment or gone on to further their education within one year of completion of the program.
Goal #2: To promote and encourage post-graduation professional development for our students.
Measurable Objectives for Goal #2:
- At least 80 percent of the graduates of the MS/DI program who return surveys will maintain their RD status five years after graduation.
- Five years after completion of the program, at least 50 percent of the graduates who returned surveys will demonstrate involvement in professional activities.