Operations Director for Clinical Education:Jennifer Keenan617-358-0758
Clinical Assistant, Clinical Education & Community Affairs:Joan Gentile617-353-7526
The clinical affiliations associated with the practicum are designed to provide practical, hands-on experiences in the profession of nutrition/dietetics and serve as an opportunity to apply classroom knowledge in a variety of professional settings.
HS 811 – The Practicum in Clinical Nutrition
HS 811 is a three-credit course in which you will spend a minimum of 150 hours working with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) or other health care professional. The practicum experience is an ideal way to begin exploring the numerous career possibilities in nutrition.
In the past, students have spent their practicum in many different education, public health, and research environments, including:
- BU Sargent Choice Nutrition Center
- Boston Medical Center General Research Center
- Breastfeeding Center at Boston Medical Center
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital General Research Center
- DASH for Health
- Cambridge Health Alliance
- Children’s Hospital Sports Medicine Clinic
- Gold’s Gym
- Good Housekeeping Magazine
- Greater Boston Food Bank
- Jewish Family & Children’s Service
- Joslin Clinic at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, Needham
- Massachusetts General Hospital General Research Center
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Massachusetts Department of Education
- Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Management Center
- Newton South High School
- Perkins School for the Blind
- Shriver Center
- USDA, Human Nutrition Research Center at Tufts
- US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Military Nutrition Division
- UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program
Note: Students who are admitted into Sargent College routinely participate in clinical education experiences as a part of the respective program curricula. Most clinical education facilities require criminal background checks to determine students’ eligibility for participation. History of a criminal background may disqualify students from participating in these experiences which are required for successful completion of the degree program. Students may have to provide documentation of medical exams or immunizations before clinical education experiences.
Students may have to provide documentation of medical exams or immunizations before clinical education experiences.