Registered student organization status is a privilege, and carries with it the ability to utilize the name of Boston University as a designation of affiliation.
Each registered student organization has a responsibility to Boston University to adhere to each of the following policies.
The Programming Section may refer you back to these policies.
The SAO recognizes and registers all undergraduate and graduate organizations.
- Registration of an organization and approval of organization programs in no way implies that the University approves or disapproves of the organizationís constitution, purposes, literature or programs.
The responsibility of any views held or expressed by the organization and/or its membership is solely that of the individuals involved.
- In compliance with Title IX of the U.S. Higher Education Amendments of 1972, "There shall be no restrictions on membership based
on race, religion, nationality, gender, handicap, political conviction, or sexual orientation."
- Student organizations must have a current constitution (not more than 5 years) on file with the Student Activities Office. Constitutions must conform to city, state and federal
laws as well as Boston University policies. The Director of the Student Activities Office must approve amendments.
- Any student organization affiliated with a national or regional organization must declare that affiliation and submit copies of the larger organizationís constitution for
review. In cases of conflict of policy between national organizations and Boston University, University policy shall prevail.
- Officers of student organizations must be full-time registered Boston University students in good academic, financial, and disciplinary standing. Officers of undergraduate organizations must be full-time, registered Boston University undergraduate students.
- Student elections must be held annually during the spring semester. Each organization must inform the Student Activities Office of election results by updating their registration forms within one week. Once officers are elected, they will have the opportunity to register the group to participate in SPLASH and/or the Student Activities Expo, both of which are held each fall. Please see the main page of the SAO website, or SAO Reception, for exact deadlines.
- In the case of an officer leaving office prior to annual elections, a Registration Change Form must be filed with the Student Activities Office within one week. In the
case of the treasurer leaving, the new treasurer must attend an orientation before the organization may proceed with any financial transactions.
- Student Organizations' accounts in the Business Office must be in good financial standing in order to register and/or make program arrangements. Student groups with negative balances may be allowed to program after meeting with the Assistant Director for Financial Affairs, at his or her discretion, and also filling out a deficit agreement form. Prior approval must be given for all purchases and arrangements made with a negative balance.