We accept new group applications at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. New Group applications can be found on www.bu.edu/youdo beginning on the first day of classes for Fall and Spring semester and are available for the first three weeks of each semester.
Before you start be sure that you have the following information:
- The names and emails of your 4 officers. We require that all organizations name a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- A membership roster with at least 10 members
- The name and email address of
an advisor who must be a full time or part-time exempt staff member
- A description of your group
- A constitution with rules and policies to govern your organization
If you need help with the constitution, you are welcome to download our sample constitution and use it as a guide. Here's a copy of a sample constitution You will also have the option to request an email address or a website for your Student Organization, so be thinking of a possible BU username.
Once all of the steps are completed and you have submitted the completed application via the You Do @ BU system, the other student organizations in your Consortium will have the opportunity to view your profile and vote on your acceptance. Be prepared to answer questions via email or the You Do system. We hope to have voting wrapped up by October 1st and your group will be notified of the decision shortly thereafter.
This can be a long process so if you need to take a break, you can save your work and continue the application later. Keep in mind that this is a new system, so if you have any problems or questions don’t hesitate to call or email our office for help!
Phone Number: 617-353-3635
Note to Religious Groups and Honor Societies
Some groups must gain approval from other sources before they can be approved by our office. Here are the guidelines for those groups:
Requesting Status as a New Religious Organization
- Students must schedule a presentation with the Religious Life Council (RLC). The Council will make a recommendation to the Student Activities Office. Email Office of Religious Life to schedule your presentation.
- Once approved by the RLC, the organization may proceed to request recognition as a new organization through the Student Activities Office by following the procedures outlined above.
Requesting Status as a New Honor Society
- The faculty advisor must send a letter in support of the honor society to the Dean of the School or College to which the honor society is affiliated.
- The Dean of the School or College must then send a letter of request to recommend the society for approval to the Office of the Provost.
- Once the Provost has approved the group, the honor society may proceed to register as a new organization through the Student Activities Office by following the procedures outlined above.