Women of Color in the Academy Conference
We are excited to announce that registration is open for the 2nd Annual Boston-Wide Women of Color in the Academy Conference: Concrete Steps to Career Success and Advancement! The conference will be in the Curry Student Center at Northeastern University on Friday, April 27, 2018 from 8:30 am – 6:30 pm.
The overall conference goal is to facilitate a more diverse academy by enhancing the timely career progression primarily of faculty, but also of post-doctoral scholars and graduate students. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of interactive, hands-on workshops, as well as to network with other women faculty of color throughout the greater Boston region.
The panel and workshop break-out sessions will touch on topics aligned with the conference’s three main themes:
1. Maintaining personal health and creating personal agency
2. Navigating institutional structures
3. Developing tools and strategies for career advancement
In addition, three keynote speakers will offer their perspectives on these issues and how they affect women of color in the academy, as well as share strategies and best practices that set the stage for the implementation of participant’s own individual action plans. This year’s keynote speakers are:
- Julie Chen, Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Melissa Nobles, Kenan Sahin Dean of the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, and Professor of Political Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Zulma Toro, President of Central Connecticut State University and Professor of Industrial Engineering