Are you a BU or BMC researcher with a new idea or invention you would like to commercialize? If so, please feel free to reach out to the appropriate Business Development contact listed on the “Contacts” tab above, or submit your information via the link below and we will contact you.

Discuss a new idea with OTD


We want to make sure that great ideas, new product concepts, and inventions find their way to the public and to the people who will benefit the most. Getting there can be a winding road and we’re here to help, whether it’s obtaining a patent, making industry contacts, completing license agreements, or fostering collaborations beyond campus.

The University’s Technology Development Office is closely involved in commercial development and has expertise in matters of intellectual property protection, licensing of intellectual property rights, and providing guidance for starting a new company. Explore the links below to learn more and get started. For general inquiries, please email our office.

We strive to respond as quickly as possible to faculty inquiries. Our goal is to respond within 48 hours of your initial contact, meet with you as necessary within two weeks, and deliver a full patent filing decision within 90 business days after receipt of a completed Technology Disclosure Form.

Transfer Your Technology

Information about the Technology Transfer Process

Intellectual Property Primer

Intellectual Property is generally characterized as Patents, Copyright, Trademark, Know-How, Trade Secret, or Mask Works.

In some cases the categories of Intellectual Property are mutually exclusive. For example it is not possible to maintain a Trade Secret and also obtain a Patent on the same subject matter because by definition, a Patent is a public disclosure (i.e. it’s no longer a secret). However it is possible to both Copyright and Patent various aspects of the same intellectual advancement. Please read the sections below for a more detailed discussion of each Intellectual Property category and the protection afforded each type.


Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)

A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is needed any time a BU investigator receives materials, software, or human data into or out of BU.

More on MTAs at BU

Confidentiality Agreements (CDA)

Confidentiality agreements (CDAs) are used to protect proprietary or non-public information that is disclosed in the course of evaluating a possible business relationship. These are also referred to as Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) or as Secrecy Agreements.

More on CDAs at BU