Governance Councils & Committees
Research Council is organized by the Office of Research and is made up of the associate deans for research from the schools and colleges across BU as well as representatives from Research Compliance, Sponsored Programs, and Post Award Financial Operations. The council meets on a monthly basis during the academic year to discuss research administration policies and processes. It is provides an important connection between the schools and colleges where research is carried out and the offices that support them.
Research & Scholarly Activities Committee
The Committee on Research and Scholarly Activity is a University Council subgroup (BU login required) that considers and votes on proposals for new and revised policies concerning research and scholarship. As required, the Committee presents proposals to the University Council for discussion and vote. The Committee meets at least once per month on the Charles River Campus. It is the first stage in developing policies that will be implemented University-wide.
Sponsored Programs Councils
Advisory Council for Research Administrators
A monthly meeting that brings together representatives from research-intensive schools and colleges with professional staff from related central offices to discuss administrative issues affecting the University-wide research community.
In general, the Associate Vice President of Research Compliance appoints the various committee members; the committees are comprised of mainly research faculty from both campuses with expertise in many areas.
These committees include:
- BUMC Institutional Review Board: For research involving human subjects conducted by Boston Medical Center and Boston University Medical Campus faculty members.
- Charles River Campus Institutional Review Board: For social and behavioral research involving human subjects conducted by Boston University Charles River Campus faculty members.
- Dive Safety Committee: The Scientific Diving & Small Boat Safety Committee (SD-SBSC) oversees diving and boating performed as a necessary component of research or educational activity by faculty, students, and other employees involved in research.
- Export Control Advisory Committee: Provides guidance regarding export control issues at Boston University.
- Faculty Review Committee on Conflicts of Interest: Reviews disclosures with a potential conflict of interest from investigators on the Charles River Campus, Medical Campus, and Boston Medical Center.
- Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee: Considers the care and use of animals in research and teaching from an ethical perspective and ensures institutional compliance with federal requirements through oversight of the laboratory animal care program.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC): A University-wide committee responsible for reviewing and approving recombinant DNA research and biohazard research projects. The Institutional Biosafety Committee The IBC is an instituti... has overall oversight responsibility for the biosafety program at Boston University and Boston Medical Center.
- Laboratory Safety Committee (LSC): Provides guidance and administrative oversight of environmental health and safety in the academic research and teaching laboratories. The Laboratory Safety Committee develops policies and guidelines to assist in addressing hazardous materials processes in the laboratory workplace to ensure that personnel work safely.
- Radiation Safety Committee: Oversees all uses of radioactive material and has overall responsibility for the development and recommendation of comprehensive polices and guidelines for the safe use of all sources of radiation, including all clinical and research uses of radioactive materials and all ionizing and non-ionizing radiation-generating devices.