Frequently Asked Questions

Do you only treat BU students?

Absolutely not! While BU students do get referred to us for care, we receive referrals from medical care providers and satisfied former patients from throughout the Greater Boston area.

Who refers patients to you?

Our referrals from the medical community come from throughout the Greater Boston area and include primary care physicians, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, podiatrists, nurse practitioners, chiropractors, and other physical therapists. Affiliations of these providers include Boston’s major healthcare systems (Partners, Care Group, Boston Medical Center, Children’s Hospital, and Harvard Vangard, to name a few).

Are you part of Boston Medical Center?

No. We are an independent part of Boston University, but do get patients referred to us from Boston Medical Center medical health care providers.

Do you accept my insurance?

Most likely, yes. The best action to take is to call your insurance. We have listed some of our group provider numbers on the insurance information page, which you could cross-reference with your insurance company representative. There is often much confusion in this area with all of the different insurance plans and our staff is always willing to help you determine for sure.

Why can’t I find you on my insurance company’s website?

Some insurance companies recognize our Tax Identification Name (Trustees of Boston University). Other insurances choose to list individual providers instead of organizations. Furthermore, as part of our successful expansion, we have undergone several name changes from The Sargent Clinic, to BU Rehabilitation Services, and finally, to BU Physical Therapy Center. Some insurance companies find it very difficult to change our name in their system, but we are continually working with them to get the changes made. The good news is that if you have made it here, you are only a phone call away from an appointment.

What is the difference between physical therapy and sports physical therapy (sometime referred to as ‘sports medicine’)?

This varies from organization to organization, and sadly, sometimes is nothing more than a ploy to get you in the door. At BUPTC, we use the term ‘sports’ to denote the type of progressive care you will receive. You do not need to be an athlete to benefit in the excellent care athletes often receive.

Will a student or licensed physical therapist treat me?

There is no question that you will be treated by a licensed physical therapist. Just like any other practice, including private practices, we accept graduate student interns who are finishing their education and may work with one of our physical therapists. The physical therapist is always the director of your care and you always have the right to decline intern involvement.

[Back to Top]