Karen Golden-BiddleQuestrom Professor in Management Professor, Organizational Behavior Chair of Organizational Behavior
Karen Golden-Biddle is Questrom Professor in Management and Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Questrom School of Business at Boston University. She received her BA degree from Denison University and MBA and PhD degrees from Case Western Reserve University. She served as Senior Associate Dean from 2011 – 2015, with responsibilities for faculty and school-level curricular change. She currently serves as Department Chair of Organizational Behavior. Professionally she is active in the Academy of Management, where she was recently inducted as a Fellow.
Karen conducts research and teaches at the graduate level in the areas of organizational change and qualitative methodology. She has published two books and authored more than sixty articles and book chapters in management journals such as the Academy of Management Journal and Organization Science. Recognition for Karen's scholarship includes the 2013 Douglas McGregor Award (Journal of Applied Behavioral Science) for her paper on organizational change, and the Academy of Management’s Robert McDonald Award for the Advancement of Organizational Research Methodology for her study of constructing opportunities for contribution in writing qualitative research. Her co-authored book,Composing Qualitative Research, has been used in doctoral programs in top business schools across the world, including Stanford, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Cambridge, INSEAD, and Columbia.
Her current work focuses on:
(1) How seasoned insiders collectively create and sustain organizational change that makes a positive difference within and beyond their organization.
(2) The relationship of discovery and validation processes in the context of our research, in particular, how researchers cultivate discovery in the analytic practice of coding.
- PhD, Case Western Reserve University, 1988
- Golden-Biddle, K., Reay, T., GermAnn, K., Casebeer, A., Hinings, C. (2016). Creating and sustaining the right kind of space for organizational learning in primary health care. In Swan, Newell and Nicolini (Eds.), "Mobilizing Knowledge in HealthCare: Challenges for Management and Organization", Oxford University Press
- Locke, K., Feldman, M., Golden-Biddle, K. (2015). "Discovery, validation and live coding", Taylor and Francis Group
- Dietrich, K., Golden-Biddle, K., Feldman, E., Locke, K. (2015). Constructing contribution in strategy-as-practice research. In Damon Golsorkhi, Linda Rouleau, David Seidl, and Eero Vaara (Eds.), "Cambridge Handbook of Strategy as Practice (2nd ed.)", Cambridge University Press (2nd), 95-110
- Golden-Biddle, K. (2014). "Create micro-moves for organizational change", Berrett-Kohler Publishers
- Golden-Biddle, K. (2013). "How to change your organization without blowing it up", Sloan Management Review , 54 (2), 35-41
- Reay, T., Chreim, S., Golden-Biddle, K. (2013). "Transforming new ideas into practice: An activity-based perspective on the institutionalization of practices.", Journal of Management Studies , 50 (6), 963-990
- Golden-Biddle, K. (2013). "How micro-moves can drive major health care change", Harvard Business Review Blog Network
- Golden-Biddle, K., Dutton, J. (2012). "Using a Positive Lens to Explore Social Change and Organizations: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation", Taylor and Francis Group - Routledge
- Golden-Biddle, K., Mao, J. (2012). "What makes an organizational change process positive?", Oxford University Press 763-772
- Langley, A., Golden-Biddle, K., Reay, T., Denis, J., Lamothe, L. (2012). "Identity struggles in merging organizations: Renegotiating the sameness-difference dialectic", Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 48 (2), 135-167
- Golden-Biddle, K. (2011). ""Blink and you (dis)miss them: Coming to see new lines of sight in Carlsen, A. and Dutton, J.E. Generativity" Doing Qualitative Research", Copenhagen Business School Chapter 34 pg.178-181
- Howard-Grenville, J., Golden-Biddle, K., Irwin, J., Mao, J. (2011). "Liminality as cultural process for cultural change", Organization Science , 22 (2), 522-539
- Golden-Biddle, K., Sonpar, K. (2008). "Using content analysis to elaborate adolescent theories of organization.", Organizational Research Methods, 11 (4), 795 - 814
- Locke, K., Golden-Biddle, K., Feldman, M. (2008). "Making Doubt Generative: Rethinking the Role of Doubt in the Research Process", Organization Science , 19 (6), 907 - 918
- Golden-Biddle, K., Locke, K. (2007). "Composing Qualitative Research", Sage Publications
- Golden-Biddle, K., GermAnn, K., Reay, T., Procyshen, G. (2006). "Creating and sustaining positive organizational relationships: A cultural perspective.", Exploring positive relationships at work: Building a theoretical and research foundation.
- Reay, T., Golden-Biddle, K., GermAnn, K. (2006). "Legitimizing a new role: Small wins and micro-processes of change.", Academy of Management Journal, 49 (5), 977-988
- Golden-Biddle, K., Locke, K., Reay, T. (2006). "Using knowledge in management studies.", Journal of Management Inquiry, 9 (15), 237-254
- Golden-Biddle, K., Wiebe, E., Locke, K. (2005). Using qualitative methodology to study the dynamics of organizational change.. In Lunes, Langley and Stensaker (Eds.), "Handbook of Organizational Change and Learning", Handbook of organizational change and learning
- Golden-Biddle, K., Reay, T., Witt, C., Petz, S., Casebeer, A., Pablo, A., Hinings, C. (2003). "Toward a communicative perspective of collaborating in research: The case of the researcher-decision maker partnership.", Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, 8 (S2), 20-25
- Golden-Biddle, K., Casebeer, A., Reay, T., Besner, J. (2003). "Multi-Organizational Partnerships and Collaborative Strategies",
- Golden-Biddle, K., Ramanujam, V. (1985). "Between a dream and a nightmare: On the integration of the human resource management and strategic business planning processes.", Human Resource Management, 24 429-452
- Golden-Biddle, K.PDW. Coding in the Trenches: Discovery Processes, Academy of Management, Atlanta GA, 2017
- Golden-Biddle, K.Toward a Relational Understanding of Human Agency in Organizational Change, Yale University and Boston College, Boston, MA, 2017
- Golden-Biddle, K.Theorizing collective activity for organizational change, Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management, Cleveland Ohio, 2017
- Golden-Biddle, K.Dynamic analyses of dynamic phenomena, University of Warwick, UK, 2016
- Golden-Biddle, K.How) is healthcare management different?, Academy of Management, Anaheim California, 2016
- Golden-Biddle, K.Coding in the Trenches: Live Coding., Academy of Management, Anaheim California, 2016
- Golden-Biddle, K.The Craft of Writing Qualitative Research, Center for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis, Detroit Michigan, 2016
- Golden-Biddle, K.The craft of writing qualitative research, CARMA, Detroit, 2015
- Golden-Biddle, K.Create micro-moves for organizational change, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2015
- 2013, Douglas McGregor Best Paper Award, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science