Vice President for Research Finance & Operations (VPRFO), Office of Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, and Treasurer
The Vice President for Research Finance and Operations (VPRFO) will provide oversight for the entire sponsored award lifecycle from pre-award to post award activities reporting directly to the Senior Vice-President, CFO and Treasurer with a secondary reporting line to the University Provost. The VPRFO will have primary responsibility for providing research administration services to the Boston University research community including direct responsibility for the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and Post Award Financial Operations (PAFO). Additionally, the VPRFO will oversee the Sourcing and Procurement Services function.
The primary responsibilities of the VPRFO are to:
1) Ensure Boston University is responsive to the needs of faculty, researchers and staff and demonstrates a strong customer-service ethic, working in close collaboration with the Vice President & Associate Provost for Research;
2) Ensure Boston University policies and procedures related to research administration are maintained and updated periodically to assure regulatory compliance and streamlining of internal processes;
3) Provide oversight for Sourcing and Procurement Services and ensure high quality service to the University community, effective and efficient procurement processes and tools, and cultivate and maintain strong relationships with the University’s preferred vendors.
Among the essential duties of the VPRFO is the complete restructuring and consolidation of research administration services carried out on both the Charles River Campus and Medical Campus, including closer alignment and integration between OSP and PAFO as well as the development of revised business processes for proposal review and submission, award acceptance and account creation, negotiation and execution of contract, post award monitoring, and award closeout. The VPRFO will collaborate closely with the Vice President and Associate Provost for Research and the Associate Vice President for Research Compliance in providing seamless research administration and compliance services to investigators and staff in collaboration with compliance units, including Conflict of Interest, Institutional Review Board and Institutional Animal Care & Usage.
Specific additional duties
- Oversee Boston University’s research administration information systems, including Kuali Coeus and SAP Grants Management and ensure such technology solutions facilitate the administration of research at the University and allow faculty and staff to focus on conducting research activities. Leverage Boston University’s information systems to provide timely, accurate and user-friendly information to University leadership, Deans and faculty regarding the status and performance of the entire sponsored research portfolio.
- Serve as primary Boston University representative on matters related to sponsored programs administration with federal, state and local governmental agencies and non-profit agencies
- Develop the capacity and capability of OSP and PAFO staff through training, professional development, and teamwork.
- Implement robust training and education program for the Boston University research community faculty and administrators.
- Oversee the University’s strategic sourcing program and ensure adherence to total cost management through strategic, university-wide sourcing and savings initiatives. Work with leadership to ensure the University community uses preferred suppliers, maximizing purchasing power and fostering additional savings opportunities.
- Oversee the University’s procurement tools and systems, including SAP Supplier Resource Management (SRM), Aravo & Ariba. Oversee the migration to unified and streamlined technology tools to provide a seamless purchasing experience for end users.
Reporting to the Vice President for Research Finance and Operations
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Post Award Financial Operations
- Sourcing and Procurement