Vice President and Associate Provost for Research (VPAPR), Office of the University Provost
The Vice President and Associate Provost for Research (VPAPR) is the senior officer reporting to the University Provost with the responsibility for oversight of the University’s research enterprise. The VPAPR works closely with the President, the University Provost and other members of the University’s senior leadership, including the academic deans, center and institute directors, as well as faculty members on the Charles River and Medical Campuses to advance and support research at BU.
The primary responsibilities of the VPAPR are to:
1) Lead the establishment of university-wide research policies and initiatives and through these efforts, help to expand the breadth and depth of BU’s research portfolio;
2) Represent Boston University with key federal, state and private constituencies; and
3) Ensure the effective operation of administrative systems that support the research enterprise.
Among the essential duties of the VPAPR are the development and implementation of effective policies and processes to streamline and manage research, and the expansion and cultivation of relationships with industry, government, and private foundations that support research. The VPAPR will work closely with the Vice President for Research Finance and Operations who will provide oversight for the entire sponsored award lifecycle from pre-award to post-award activities. The VPAPR also works closely with the Vice President for Federal Relations to strengthen the University’s ties to federal agencies and policymakers in Washington, DC.
All of the activities of the VPAPR should, in partnership with our faculty and deans, serve to strengthen and expand the quality, stature, and vitality of Boston University’s research enterprise.
Specific additional duties
- Serve as a member of Provost’s Cabinet, President’s Administrative Council, and University Leadership Group
- Oversee the development and publication of the annual Research Magazine
- Other duties as assigned by the University Provost and the President
Reporting to the Vice President and Associate Provost for Research
- Office of Research Compliance
- University Centers and University Institutes
- Office of Technology Development
- Other programs and initiatives assigned by the University Provost and the President