The prehealth/premedical advisors in the Preprofessional Advising Office are available to provide comprehensive guidance to current Boston University undergraduates and alumni who aspire to enter careers in the health professions. Advisors are available to discuss a wide range of topics with prospective applicants to health professions schools, so that our students and alumni can make informed decisions about their future path. We encourage prehealth students to schedule a meeting with an advisor each semester to receive ongoing feedback about the manner in which they are developing their academic and non-academic portfolios for application to health professions schools. During appointments, topics of discussion may include:
- Completing the academic prerequisites of health professions schools
- Taking advantage of opportunities at Boston University and in the city of Boston, including clinical experiences, volunteer activities, internships, research, and study abroad
- Exploring summer opportunities and enrichment programs
- Preparing for standardized tests
- Requesting letters of recommendation
- Navigating the application process
In addition to providing individualized and personalized advising, the prehealth advisors coordinate an exciting schedule of events that includes general information meetings, sessions with representatives from health professions schools, and a year-long series on exploring opportunities beyond the fields of medicine and dentistry. These sessions complement and reinforce information students gain through individual advising appointments and help students broaden their perspective of the health professions.
Students and alumni wishing to schedule an appointment with a prehealth advisor may do so by calling the Preprofessional Advising Office at 617.353.4866 or by visiting the office at the Center for Student Services, 100 Bay State Road, 4th Floor.