Issues to Consider
- How quickly must the proposed policy be implemented?
- What should be the effective date of the policy?
- Apart from start-up costs of printing the policy and posting it on the website, are there implementation costs involved if it is adopted (including personnel time, paperwork, or other compliance time)?
- Must new administrative structures be created for the implementation?
- Does the proposed policy require additional expenditures or personnel for its implementation beyond what already has been committed by the University?
Related Policies, References and History
- Is there existing policy on the subject applicable to those parts of the University not covered by the proposed policy?
- Is there a need to have the same or a similar proposed policy developed for those parts of the University not covered by the proposed policy?
- Have individual school, college, or other operating unit policies been reviewed to determine whether such policies need to be superseded or revised to be consistent with the new policy?
Stakeholders and Responsible Parties
- Have all those within the University community who should be involved in the s development been identified and included in that process?
- Is input needed from stakeholders not involved in the actual policy development (i.e., are there stakeholders, such as alumni, trustees, or students whose views should be considered during a s development)?
Dissemination, Communication and Education
- What is the best way to communicate and publicize the new policy?
- Beyond its initial dissemination, how can the University community remain educated about a new policy?
- Will regular training sessions be necessary? If so, how frequently should these sessions occur?
Education and Policy Maintenance
- Are there University operating units or individuals (other than the ones identified through the University Policy template above) who should be involved on a periodic basis in overseeing the implementation and updating of a policy?
- What is the best way to ensure that the policy is kept current?