What you’ll gain
Our three-year MFA in Playwriting Program will actively engage you with playwriting workshops, classes and seminars, actors in the classroom, and theatrical productions on a yearly basis. As a graduate, you will join a distinguished group of alumni playwrights that includes Lydia Diamond, Zayd Dohrn, John Kuntz, Russell Lees, Melinda Lopez, Molly Smith Metzler, Ronan Noone, Joyce Van Dyke, and Karen Zacarías among others.
You will collaborate with artists connected with every aspect of a play—directors, actors, technical designers, and more. You will gain the skills of a professional playwright and theatre scholar and be ready for a career in the theatre and teaching at the graduate level.
You’ll be enriched by:
- Collaboration on all levels
- A firm knowledge of theatre history, criticism, and modern drama
- Hands-on experience in workshops and productions
- Annual entry into the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival’s Playwriting Awards Program
- A fully-rendered production of your best work
- At least three workshopped, ready-to-go evenings of theatre
- Newfound, unleashed strengths as a writer
- The possibility of professional productions at professional companies (the many members of our BU Professional Theatre Initiative, Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, Boston Center for American Performance, New Repertory Theatre, and others)
- A plan for what to do next (and a community of friends with whom you may accomplish your goals)