Meet the new qPCR plate spinner: This is a commonly used lab hack...
Category: Important News
Meet the new qPCR plate spinner:
This is a commonly used lab hack where a salad spinner is repurposed into a gentle centrifuge for plates prior to qPCR.
- Place your plate flat on the bottom of the green basket to one side of the dimple(1)
- Place the lid on
- Hold down the top (Don’t press the brake)(2)
- Pull the cord all the way out with a steady motion
- Repeat about 4 more times
- Do not brake, let the drum stop spinning on its own.
- Open the top carefully
- Your plate will be up against the side wall with all of the liquid at the bottom of the wells
If you have trouble or questions: blute@ bu.edu
IF YOU would prefer to use a conventional centrifuge, there is one in LSEB 344 on the left most lane of benches. It has the plate holders. You will need to bring a blank for balancing as there is not one there yet.
As the semester winds down and people begin to head off for a well deserved break,there are two important things to keep in mind.
1. Beginning on December 22nd, there will be widespread computer maintenance. To facilitate these efforts, all old data will be deleted. Anything that is older than 2 weeks will be removed
2. During intersession and until the semester starts, please make extra efforts to prevent accidentally leaving equipment on. I would recommend not leaving anything on for the next user unless they have specifically asked you to. When in doubt error on the side of caution and shut it down. Also turn OFF lights when you are done.
Thank you. I hope you have a successful end of the semester and very happy holidays!
On Sat. Feb. 8, technology staff will be relocating several racks of server equipment in the on-campus data center to accommodate changes to the facility. Throughout the day on Saturday, all Core Facility scheduling services will be unavailable or sporadically available while the equipment is powered down and relocated.
We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have all systems back on-line as soon as possible.
Due to a hard disk failure, all of the passwords have been reset. Please login as your lab with password abc123. Change your password to what it used to be, or something new but share it with all of your lab.
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Please be sure that all systems are shut down properly because there will be far fewer people around.
If you are unsure whether or not to shut something off, error on the side of caution and shut it down.