Substance use Among Older Adults
This course will discuss the use of alcohol, nicotine, and drugs, including illicit, prescription, and over-the-counter medications. You will explore the most effective ways to engage older adults in discussions about their use of alcohol and drugs and provide referral resources. Through the use of stories, assessment questions, and interactive activities, you will become more familiar with substance use as an issue that affects your work. You will also be able to explore your own attitudes about substance use in this population, and understand more clearly the barriers to effective identification and treatment.
- Discuss the prevalence of substance use among older adults.
- Identify the impact of substance use on health.
- Engage in a collaborative process of addressing substance use with older adults.
- Discuss treatment resources available to older adults.
- Outline the roles that workers can play in promoting recovery.
- Understand the impact of culture on substance use among older adults.
Number of CEUs: 4