For Release Upon Receipt - May 25, 2011
Contact: Lauren Davalla, 617-358-1688, email@example.com
BOSTON UNIVERSITY AWARDS FULL-TUITION MEDEIROS SCHOLARSHIPS TO 12 ARCHDIOCESAN HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES
(Boston) — Boston University (BU) awarded twelve students from the graduating seniors of the parochial high schools in the Archdiocese of Boston four-year, full-tuition scholarships through the Cardinal Medeiros Scholarship Program at a May 16 ceremony at BU’s George Sherman Union.
Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley and Boston University Vice President of Enrollment and Student Affairs, Dr. Laurie Pohl, presented the students with their scholarships, cumulatively valued at over $1.5 million. Medeiros Scholars are chosen for their academic achievements, demonstrated leadership skills and contributions to their schools and communities. The scholars were selected by a three-person committee composed of representatives from the BU President’s Office, BU’s Office of Admissions and the Archdiocese of Boston.
By the time these students graduate, the university will have enrolled a total of 362 scholars since the program’s inception in 1986, representing a contribution of over $35 million from Boston University to the Greater Boston area and the students of the Archdiocese.
The Medeiros Scholars are:*
• Sean Ahern, Arlington Catholic
• Brendan Bowdridge, Pope John XXII
• Danielle Conneely, Archbishop Williams
• Jaclyn Fulton, Austin Preparatory School
• Kelly Gauthier, Bishop Fenwick
• Sean Gunning, Xaverian Brothers
• Dennis Marquis, Archbishop Williams
• Nicole Ouellette, Presentation of Mary Academy
• Claire Pozniak, Notre Dame Academy
• Kasthuri Sivalogan, Newton County Day School of the Sacred Heart
• Lindsay Smith, Mount Saint Joseph Academy
• Matthew Talbot, Xaverian Brothers
Founded in 1839, Boston University is an internationally recognized private research university with more than 30,000 students participating in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. BU consists of 17 colleges and schools along with a number of multi-disciplinary centers and institutes which are central to the school's research and teaching mission.
*Group image available upon request
— 30 —