Friday Reminder: May 3, 2013
Happy Friday! The end of exams and papers is finally within sight! We cannot believe that your year with us is already coming to an end. We look forward to seeing all of you on the Harbor Cruise on Wednesday, May 15th and at the Castle Graduation Party on Friday, May 17th.
Please read through this entire email, as it contains a lot of important information about your upcoming graduation and graduation events. Most importantly, please note that your graduation gown should be BLACK. If your gown is not black, you’ll need to go back to Barnes and Noble to exchange it.
Most importantly, if you are NOT attending commencement ceremonies, please email me IMMEDIATELY to let me know. Thank you to the students who have already notified me of their plans.
Here are this week’s reminders:
1) REMINDER: Check your student account status. Make sure to check your student account and pay any outstanding balances now, as any student owing money to the University will not receive his or her diploma at commencement! To check your account, login to the Student Link and select “Money Matters.” From there, select “Student Account Inquiry.” If you have any questions about your account, contact Student Accounting Services (http://www.bu.edu/studentaccountingservices/).
2) ONGOING: Request Transcripts Before You Leave Boston. It is useful to have several official BU Law transcripts on hand in case you need them to submit to employers or universities. These transcripts are much easier to request now while you are still here in Boston. Request forms for transcripts are available at the School of Law Registrar’s Office on the 4th floor. You may email a transcript request to firstname.lastname@example.org only if you can pick up the transcript from the Registrar’s office. You will be required to sign a printed copy of your request at that time. So, if you would like a transcript mailed to you, you will need to fill out the hardcopy paper form. The Registrar will begin printing transcripts the week after graduation. Please note: it may take a few days to process your request after graduation.
3) GRADUATION! There is a lot of information now available for graduation. Please see the bullet points below:
1. When should you arrive for the Law Commencement Ceremony?
All LL.M. in American Law students are required to arrive at the Agganis Arena no later than 8:00 am to line up. Please enter the Agganis Arena via the side entrance marked “Feld Public Skating” on the street named Harry Agganis Way, across from the BU Police Department. You MUST check in with Shannon or Cara upon arrival. The class will then march in together to be seated in time for the ceremonies to commence at 9:00 am sharp.
2. What about your guests?
There is no limit to the number of people you can invite, as the Arena can accommodate a large number of people. Please inform guests that they may enter the arena starting at 8:00 am but no earlier. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. What should you wear?
You must be wearing your black cap and gown to participate in the Commencement ceremony. You should pick up your cap and gown from the BU Barnes and Noble by the Sunday, May 11th and you should open the package to make sure all items are included and that everything fits. All rental regalia must be returned no later than May 23rd to avoid late charges, and transcripts will be withheld by the University from any student failing to return rental items. Return locations will be posted at Barnes & Noble at BU and at Agganis Arena. The regalia for LL.M. graduates consist of the following:
- a black tam (a hat that looks like a flat beret);
- a gold tassel (worn on the tam);
- a black gown (If you receive a red one, give it back and ask for a black one. The red gown is for JDs.); and
- a hood colored purple, red and white (the law school hood).
You should dress comfortably, but remember that you will likely want to take photos after you return your gown, so dress appropriately. You should leave your backpacks, purses, and bags at home or with your guests because your hands need to be free and you will not be allowed to carry items into the Arena during the procession.
4. What happens after you arrive at the Agganis Arena?
Please read through the schedule of events posted on the Commencement website: http://www.bu.edu/law/events/commencement/schedule.shtml. Remember, you need to arrive and be ready to line up by 8:00 am. If you arrive late, you will not be able to participate, so please be mindful of this deadline!
5. What happens after the ceremony?
a. Follow the marshals out of the arena and go directly to the steps on the side of Agganis and FitRec where we’ll take a cap-tossing photo! DON’T follow all the other students! This is a photo just for the ALP students.
b. Immediately following the ceremony there will be a reception for all graduates and their guests in the lower level of the FitRec center from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. You will arrive here after the cap-tossing photo to celebrate with your family and fellow graduates. (Cara will lead the way so you do not get lost on the way to the FitRec location.)
6. Where can you find additional information about the BU Law Commencement Ceremony?
At BU Law’s Commencement website: http://www.bu.edu/law/events/commencement/.
7. Are you planning on going out to lunch after the Commencement ceremony?
Start making restaurant reservations now if you want to eat in the BU area, as restaurants fill up very quickly. Another option is to take your family or guests to dinner in Cambridge – it’s still nearby, but tends to be less crowded than the area immediately near BU.
8. Thinking about attending the University Commencement at Nickerson Field at 1:00 pm?
Details on the ceremony are available online at http://www.bu.edu/commencement/commencement-weekend/all-university-commencement/, including information on this year’s commencement speaker, Wendy Kopp.
9. Not coming to graduation?
If for some reason you’re not planning to march in the graduation ceremonies you MUST let me know by emailing me (email@example.com) as soon as possible. We need to know so that we can plan the ceremony (and diploma distribution) accordingly. You should also update your information in the graduation section of the Student Link (www.bu.edu/studentlink) and indicate the mailing address where your diploma should be sent if you are not planning on attending.
4) COMMENCEMENT EVENTS:
1. Boston Red Sox Game – To celebrate the end of the school year, we will have an all-LL.M. programs outing at Fenway Park on Friday, May 10th at 7:00 pm to watch the Red Sox play the Toronto Blue Jays. The OGIP is offering tickets to you at the discounted rate of only $20.00 per ticket. Winners will be notified on Monday, May 3, 2013. Those chosen to attend will need to pay for their tickets (via cash or check made out to ‘Boston University’) and pick up their tickets by Wednesday, May 8th at noon.
2. ALL LL.M. Boston Harbor Cruise -- Wednesday, May 15th, from 6PM to 9PM (boarding begins at 5:00PM) Please join your LL.M. classmates and visiting exchange students on a cruise around Boston Harbor full of dinner and dancing! All students attend for free; guests are charged $40/per person (you may pay with cash OR checks made payable to Boston University). To participate, please respond to the invitation Lane Marder sent to you last week. The deadline to RSVP and pay for any guests is 5:00 pm on May 8th. As we need to report a finalized guest list before the event, THIS IS A FIRM DEADLINE. No late RSVPs will be accepted.
3. Senior Send-Off Celebration: Thursday, May 16th from 3:00 to 5:00 pm in Room 1270. Students are cordially invited to attend a send-off celebration with Dean Maureen O’Rourke and BU Law faculty. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP to Elizabeth Aggott at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, May 9, 2013.
4. Graduation Reception at The Castle -- Friday, May 17th from 5:00-8:30 pm. Join the members of the OGIP as we celebrate all of your hard work over the past year. We will sample hors d'oeuvres, cheese, fruit, veggie and antipasto platters, and a variety of tasty desserts. Drinks (including beer, wine, soft drinks, coffee and tea) will also be available. You don’t need to bring anything – just yourselves! The Castle is located at 225 Bay State Road, just a short walk from the law school.
5) BIRTHDAYS: Happy Birthday to Kaoru Ishii and Jia Zhou! Kaoru celebrates his birthday on Sunday, May 5th and Jia celebrates her birthday on Monday, May 6, 2013. Please join me in wishing them a very happy birthday!
Good luck with your remaining exams and papers – and have a wonderful weekend!