Friday Reminder: September 14, 2012
I hope that you have enjoyed your second week of classes. Don’t forget, Add/Drop period is quickly coming to an end! Monday, September 17th at 5:00 pm is the final deadline to submit add/drop forms, audit forms and Credit/No Credit/Honors forms. You will not be able to make any alterations to your course schedules after this point.
Next Thursday is our first all-LL.M. event at Big City in Allston. Mark your calendar for this fun event (there will be free billiards and foosball) and see below for more details.
Here are this week’s reminders:
Friday Reminder – September 14th, 2012
1. MONDAY: Deadline to Submit Add/Drop, Audit and C/NC/H Forms to the OGIP. Please be sure to submit your forms on time.
2. MONDAY: Fall Semester Tuition Bill Due 9/17. Your fall 2012 tuition bill must be paid in full by Monday, September 17th. You can settle your bill at Student Accounting Services, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, if you haven’t already. If you miss this deadline, you will be charged a late fee. The Student Accounting Services website is http://www.bu.edu/studentaccountingservices/.
3. MONDAY: LL.M. Liaison to the Student Government Association (SGA) – Elections will be held on Monday, September 17th. The nomination period will run from Tuesday, September 11 until Friday, September 14. The student body will be electing three 1L reps (one from each section), one 2L rep, one 3L rep, and two LLM reps (1 Banking and 1 American Law).
If you would like to run for an SGA position for the 2012-2013 school year, please fill out the nomination form and the position certification form. The position certification form explains the duties and time commitment for representatives. These forms can be found on the SGA website here. Return both forms to the envelope outside the SGA office by 5 pm on Friday, September 14th. Please indicate the position for which you would like to run. You are required to obtain twenty signatures from other law students.**LLM candidates may only solicit signatures from their specific LLM program. It is your responsibility to help enforce this rule.
Please direct any questions to SGA President Cristina Ramirez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. WEDNESDAY: Public Interest Orientation, from 4:30 to 6:30 in room 1270. This year’s guest speaker is Judge Peter Krauthamer, a BU Law alumnus, who was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2011 to the District of Columbia Superior Court. A leader in the field of criminal defense, Judge Krauthamer began his career as a staff attorney with the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia and later served as its Deputy Director. Along with his presentation and a presentation by Dean O’Rourke, Professor Breen will moderate a student panel discussion. There will be a reception to follow.
5. THURSDAY: BU Law Constitution Day Program- Religious Liberty: Contested? Misunderstood? Under Siege?- Thursday, September 20th from 12:45 to 2:00 pm in Barristers Hall. Come celebrate Constitution Day by considering these timely controversies over religious liberty. Professor Gary Lawson will moderate the discussion and Professors William Marshall (visiting from University of North Carolina), Linda McClain, and Jay Wexler will offer remarks.
6. THURSDAY: Pub Night at Big City in Allston, 7:00-10:00 pm. Join us for a fun night of socializing with your LL.M. classmates at Big City Pizza & Pool at 138 Brighton Avenue in Allston, about a mile from the law school. Big City is a beer bar with billiards tables and foosball tables for all to enjoy. We’ll be serving a variety of pub food, but drinks are on you. Be sure to bring your passport or I.D. if you plan to purchase alcohol.
7. ONGOING: Online Admissions Questionnaire. In order to help us continually improve our admissions process and orientation program, we kindly ask you to complete a short online questionnaire by Friday, September 28th at the following website: http://www.bu.edu/law/central/llm/graduate/american/program/survey/.
The questionnaire asks about your reasons for coming to BU Law, your experience during the admissions process and your thoughts on the orientation program. Your responses are completely anonymous.
Thank you for helping us improve our services.
8. NEXT WEEK: Course Verification. The OGIP needs to verify that the classes you are registered for in the University database are the classes that you are actually taking. Completing this verification is as simple as checking that your schedule is correct and signing your name! It is extremely important that you stop by the OGIP between September 19th and 26th to review your schedule with Shannon. This process is for your benefit, as any mistakes on your schedule after September 26th will remain there for the rest of the semester and you will be responsible for those incorrect classes.
9. Kaplan Bar Review is seeking several LL.M. Representatives to help the company promote its products in the law school. The position will require staffing the bar information table one hour per week and advertising the company to friends, most likely in exchange for a discounted rate on its bar preparation program. Anyone interested in this opportunity can contact Ari at email@example.com or Kandace at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. The International Trademark Association will be holding two meetings in October. Details are listed below. Students enjoy a registration discount. If you have any questions about the registration, please contact Wanli Ye at email@example.com.
Trademark in Transactions, Chicago IL, Oct. 11- Oct. 12
Trademark Administrator Conference, Charlotte NC, Oct. 14 - Oct. 16
11. Happy Birthday to Christian Molina and Saif Al Eifan! Christian will celebrate his birthday on Saturday, September 15th and Saif will celebrate his on Tuesday, September 18th. Please be sure to wish them both a happy birthday.
12. Fun Tip of the Week: Whale-watching in Boston harbor. September and October are great months for whale-watching in Boston, and there are multiple companies offering whale watching tours. Here are a couple of Boston-based tours to check out:
· New England Aquarium: http://www.neaq.org/visit_planning/whale_watch/index.php.
· Boston Harbor Cruises: http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/boston-whale-watch/
Have a great weekend!