Friday Reminder: May 4, 2012
The end of exams and papers is finally within sight! We cannot believe that your year with us is already coming to an end. We look forward to seeing all of you on the Harbor Cruise on Wednesday, May 16th and at the Castle Graduation Party on Friday, May 18th.
Please read through this entire email, as it contains a lot of important information about your upcoming graduation and graduation events. Most importantly, please note that your graduation gown should be BLACK. If your gown is not black, you’ll need to go back to Barnes and Noble to exchange it.
Here are this week’s reminders:
~ Before Graduation ~
1. TODAY: Extending FitRec Memberships: We are pleased to inform you that Dean O’Rourke and the OGIP have made arrangements to extend FitRec memberships until July 31, 2012 for those of you who will be studying for the Bar Exam, at no cost to you. This offer is available only for those who will be staying in Boston specifically to study for the Bar Exam. If you meet this requirement and would like to extend your FitRec membership, you must fill out the attached membership form and return it to the OGIP. You only have to fill in the name, signature, date, ID number, and “Affiliate Name” which is BU Law. (Copies of this form are also available at the OGIP.) The deadline for completing this membership form is Friday, May 4th– no exceptions will be made if you miss this deadline.
2. TODAY: ALP 2012 T-Shirts. Want to wear a reminder of your time at BU Law? Order an ALP Class T-shirt! Please email Shannon at email@example.com with the number of t-shirts you would like to order, and the size for each one. The shirts cost $8 each. You must email Shannon by 5:00 pm on Friday, May 4th. There will be no exceptions and no late orders will be taken. We hope to get the shirts by May 16th.
3. ONGOING: Check your student account status. Make sure to check your student account and pay any outstanding balances now, as any student owing money to the University will not receive his or her diploma at commencement! To check your account, login to the Student Link and select “Money Matters.” From there, select “Student Account Inquiry.” If you have any questions about your account, contact Student Accounting Services (http://www.bu.edu/studentaccountingservices/).
4. ONGOING: Request Transcripts Before You Leave Boston. It is useful to have several official BU Law transcripts on hand in case you need them to submit to employers or universities. These transcripts are much easier to request now while you are still here in Boston. Request forms for transcripts are available at the School of Law Registrar’s Office on the 4th floor. You may email a transcript request to firstname.lastname@example.org only if you can pick up the transcript from the Registrar’s office. You will be required to sign a printed copy of your request at that time.
5. NEXT WEEK: Boston Red Sox Baseball Game – Sunday, May 13th at 1:35 PM. To celebrate the end of the school year, we will have an all-LL.M. programs outing at Fenway Park on Sunday, May 13th at 1:35 pm to watch the Red Sox play the Cleveland Indians. The OGIP is offering tickets to you at the discounted rate of only $10.00 per ticket. We have 21 tickets available for the game for American Law and Exchange Students.
Tickets will be distributed by lottery. If you would like your name to be entered in the lottery, please email email@example.com by 9:00 am on Monday, May 7th. Those who are chosen by lottery will be informed on Tuesday, May 8th and will be expected to pay for and pick up their tickets by Thursday, May 11th by noon in Room 1534. Any tickets that are unclaimed by NOON on Thursday will be offered to other students.
Each LL.M. program has only 21 tickets, so unfortunately, tickets will not be available for guests. On a similar note, PLEASE only enter the lottery if you are positive you can attend the game!
6. UPCOMING EVENT: ALL LL.M. Boston Harbor Cruise: Wednesday, May 16th from 6:00 – 9:00 PM. Please join your LLM classmates and visiting exchange students aboard the Seaport Elite II yacht for a dinner and dancing cruise around Boston Harbor on Wednesday, May 1th from 6-9PM.
All students attend for free; guests are charged $30/per person (you may pay with cash OR checks made payable to Boston University). To participate, please respond to the invitation Meg Lavangie sent to you earlier this week. The deadline to RSVP and pay for any guests is 1:00 pm on May 11th.
The boat departs from Rowes Wharf, which is located in downtown Boston near the New England Aquarium. For a map of the area, visit http://www.odysseycruises.com/Boston/directions. Boarding begins at 5:30 pm, and the boat departs at 6:00 pm. The boat will not wait for you, so it is important to be on time. You should plan on at least one hour of travel time to be safe. If you will be driving, discounted parking is available at the Boston Harbor Hotel underground lot. We suggest you take the T to the dock – rush hour traffic is absolutely terrible this time of year, and it is possible that you could get stuck in awful traffic on Storrow Drive for over an hour! Once you arrive at Rowes Wharf, you should look for the OGIP staff in front of the boat. We will have a list of all the American Law and Exchange students who have RSVP’d and will check you off our list as you board the ship.
7. UPCOMING EVENT: Senior Send-Off Celebration: Thursday, May 17th from 4:00 to 6:00 pm in Room 1270. Students are cordially invited to attend a send-off celebration with Dean Maureen O’Rourke and BU Law faculty. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP to Elizabeth Aggott at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, May 10, 2012.
8. UPCOMING EVENT: Graduation Reception at the Castle, Friday, May 18th from 5:00-8:30 pm. Join the members of the OGIP as we celebrate all of your hard work over the past year. We will sample hors d'oeuvres, cheese, fruit, veggie and antipasto platters, and a variety of tasty desserts. Drinks (including beer, wine, soft drinks, coffee and tea) will also be available. You don’t need to bring anything – just yourselves and your families! The Castle is located at 225 Bay State Road, just a short walk from the law school.
~ Graduation ~
1. When should you arrive for the Law Commencement Ceremony?
All LL.M. in American Law students are required to arrive at the Agganis Arena no later than 8:00 am to line up. Please enter the Agganis Arena via the side entrance marked “Feld Public Skating” on the street named Harry Agganis Way, across from the BU Police Department. You MUST check in with Erin or Meg upon arrival. The class will then march in together to be seated in time for the ceremonies to commence at 9:00 am sharp.
2. What about your guests?
There is no limit to the number of people you can invite, as the Arena can accommodate a large number of people. Please inform guests that they may enter the arena starting at 8:00 am but no earlier. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. What should you wear?
You must be wearing your black cap and gown to participate in the Commencement ceremony. You should pick up your cap and gown from the BU Barnes and Noble by the Friday, May 11th and you should open the package to make sure all items are included and that everything fits. All rental regalia must be returned no later than May 24th to avoid late charges, and transcripts will be withheld by the University from any student failing to return rental items.. Return locations will be posted at Barnes & Noble at BU and at Agganis Arena. You will be refunded your deposits when the regalia is returned. The regalia for LL.M. graduates consist of the following:
- a black tam (a hat that looks like a flat beret);
- a gold tassel (worn on the tam);
- a black gown (If you receive a red one, give it back and ask for a black one. The red gown is for JDs.); and
- a hood colored purple, red and white (the law school hood).
You should dress comfortably, but remember that you will likely want to take photos after you return your gown, so dress appropriately. You should leave your backpacks, purses and bags at home or with your guests because your hands need to be free and you will not be allowed to carry items into the Arena during the procession.
4. What happens after you arrive at the Agganis Arena?
Please read through the schedule of events posted on the Commencement website: http://www.bu.edu/law/events/commencement/schedule.shtml. Remember, you need to arrive and be ready to line up by 8:00 am.
5. What happens after the ceremony?
a. Follow the marshals out of the arena and go directly to the steps on the side of Agganis and FitRec where we’ll take a cap-tossing photo! DON’T follow all the other students! This is a photo just for the ALP students.
b. Immediately following the ceremony there will be a reception for all graduates and their guests in the lower level of the FitRec center from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. You will arrive here after the cap-tossing photo to celebrate with your family and fellow graduates. (Meg will lead the way so you do not get lost on the way to the FitRec location.) Look for the sign for LL.M. in American Law graduates and meet your family and friends at that location.
6. Where can you find additional information about the BU Law Commencement Ceremony?
At BU Law’s Commencement website: http://www.bu.edu/law/events/commencement/.
7. Are you planning on going out to lunch after the Commencement ceremony?
Start making restaurant reservations now if you want to eat in the BU area, as restaurants fill up very quickly. Another option is to take your family or guests to dinner in Cambridge – it’s still nearby, but tends to be less crowded than the area immediately near BU.
8. Thinking about attending the University Commencement at Nickerson Field at 1:00 pm?
Details on the ceremony are available online at http://www.bu.edu/commencement/2012/allbu.shtml. Not sure where to go? Check out the lineup information at http://www.bu.edu/commencement/2012/lineup.shtml.
Eric E. Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, will deliver the University’s 139th Commencement address.
9. Not coming to graduation?
If so, please tell me (email@example.com) as soon as possible. Thank you to those people who have already informed me.
~ … And All the Rest! ~
Birthday news: Happy Birthday to Shusuke Kuwabara and Eric Leemkuil! Shusuke celebrated his birthday on Wednesday, May 2nd and Eric celebrates his on Sunday, May 6th. Please wish them both a happy birthday!
Good luck with your remaining exams and papers – and have a wonderful weekend!