Photonics Professor Selim Unlu was the recipient of the 2016 Charles DeLisi Award...
Student Travel Matching Funds
The Photonics Center is pleased to announce the availability of matching funds for student travel to professional symposia at which they will present their work. The Center will support up to $500 of travel expenses that are matched by grant or Department funds provided by a Photonics Center faculty member.
Applicants must be enrolled as a full-time student in the University, must have a principal research advisor who is a member of the Photonics Center faculty, and must be presenting work on a photonics-related topic.
A paper must be accepted for presentation and must be on the conference agenda, with the student listed as an author.
Awards are made on a first-come first-served basis subject to availability of funds.
Awards must be requested by the student via email at least at least two (2) weeks in advance of the travel date. Email requests should be sent to Meghan Foley (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the request, the following information is required:
- Name, location, date, and website address of the conference or symposium at which the work will be presented;
- Paper title, abstract, and complete list of authors;
- Confirmation that the paper has been accepted;
- Source of funds to be matched (grant number or Dept. source number).
- Full name and email address of the Photonics Center faculty member sponsoring the student. Students must ask the sponsor to confirm support through email to email@example.com (“Confirming support” is sufficient text from the sponsor. No justification is necessary).
Applicants will be notified within a week of their request whether it has been approved.
In the presentation, supported students must identify their affiliation with the Boston University’s Photonics Center, and must acknowledge travel support.
Upon returning, students should follow the reimbursement procedure for their home department (or whichever department administers the PI matching account). Please inform the department financial administrator that a matching grant of up to $500 is being paid by Photonics. The administrator can contact Meghan Foley for account information.