Fall 2015 Seminar Series
- Tuesday, September 8 – Welcome Session – Current and prospective Pharm Program students joined faculty and staff from the program for a meet and greet event
- Tuesday, September 22 – Marion McNabb, Senior Technical Advisor, mHealth at Pathfinder International
- Tuesday, September 29 – Frédérique Santerre, Global Head, Access to Health (A2H) Merck Group
- Tuesday, October 6 – Aura Mackenzie – Director, Pricing and Market Access, ICON Commercialisation & Outcomes
- Tuesday, October 13 – Current Student Practicum Speed Networking – Pharm Students who completed practicums over the previous year shared their experiences with other current students.
- Thursday, October 22 – Networking Reception at Estragon (does not carry seminar credit) –faculty, staff, current students, alumni, and community partners gathered for an off-site networking event
- Tuesday, November 3 – Paul Newton – Professor at Oxford University discussed quality of medicines
- Tuesday, December 1 – Lauren Celano, CEO, Propel Careers discussed job trends in Pharma/Life Sciences industry.
- Tuesday, December 8 – Muhammad Zaman – Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and International Health at Boston University presented on the problem of counterfeit drugs.
Spring 2015 Seminar Series
- Archie Areche, Alliance Manager at Vertex Pharmaceuticals and BUSPH alum
- Laura Krech discussing her work as a Technical Leader and Global Advocate Promoting the Quality of Medicine program, implemented by the United States Pharmacopeia, funded by USAID
- Professor Stacey Dogan is a BU faculty member and leading scholar in intellectual property and competition law. Her recent articles explore cutting-edge topics in trademark, copyright, and right of publicity law, including questions of intermediary liability, the rights of trademark parodists, and evolving norms underlying trademark law
- Dennis Ross Degnan from Harvard Vanguard Center for Population Studies, talking about medication access and pricing
Fall 2014 Seminar Series
- Tuesday, September 9: Dr. Gill introduces the start of the seminar series, and Richard Laing discusses practicums at EPN and WHO; Lauren Celano, Co-founder and CEO of Propel Careers, talks about job search tips, LinkedIn, and networking.
- Tuesday, September 30: Dr. Gill highlights new practicum opportunities at Gilead, MSH, Merck and Agio; Lisa Toby lead exercises on elevator pitch and other interview strategies.
- Tuesday, October 14: Boston Health Associates Employer Information Session, Bakst Auditorium.
- Tuesday, October 28: Quintiles Alumni Panel
- Tuesday, November 11: BUSPH/Pharmaceuticals Program Alumni Panel: Join Meghan Bratton, Clinical Project Support Specialist at Quintiles, Lesley Nguyen, Associate Trial Leader at Novartis Vaccies, and Nga Tong, Publications Writer at Novartis Vaccines for a Q&A about their current positions, how they achieved their rules and any tips and tricks of navigating the Pharm Program.
- Tuesday, November 18: Focus Group
- Tuesday, December 2: Carrie Cook, Head of Licensing Neurodegenerative Diseases and Global Health Global Business Development at EMD Serono Inc. (Merck).
- Tuesday, December 9: Jamie Ring from Genzyme discusses her work and tips for entering the field.
Seminar Series Spring 2014
- Chris Gill Director of Program Clinical Trials
- Tobias Rinke de Wit PharmAccess a personal story around development of his career and in particular PharmAccess
- Lauren Celano Co-founder and CEO of Propel Careers Job search tips/LinkedIn/networking
- Jonathan Spector Special Assistant to the President at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research
- Erin Hasselberg Consulting Services Manager, John Snow, Inc./ Principal Advisor (SCMS)
- Leah Davis Associate Director, Dar New Me, Development & Alumni Relations at BU Fundraising
- Dr. Beverly Brown director of development for both the Center for Global Health & Development (CGHD) and the Office of Technology Development (OTD) at Boston University Development
Seminar Series Fall 2013
- Information session and introduction for new/interested students, and welcome back for current students
- Presentation from Lisa Toby, Career Office on the job search in the realm of pharmaceuticals. Check out her presentation on the “elevator pitch” here: Elevator Pitch Presentation
- Presentation from Tom McKeeff at Sproxil
- Presentation from Vas Narasimhan, Global head, vaccines development for Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics.
- Presentation from Richard Laing, from the World Health Organization
- Presentation from current students who have recently completed pharmaceuticals practicums
- Quintiles information session and panel discussion
- Presentation from Lesley Nguyen and Nga Tong, BUSPH alumni working at Novartis
- Presentation from Danielle Littee, BUSPH alum now working at Millennium Pharmaceuticals
Seminar Series Fall 2012
- Pharmaceuticals Program Q&A and Introduction of current students who have worked in the field
- Jose Travejo, Medical Director and Clinical Disease Area Lead for Infectious Diseases, Vertex Pharmaceuticals discusses his experiments in clinical development
- Erin Hasselberg Principal Advisor, Human Resource Capacity Development with the Partnership for Supply Chain Management (PFSCM) at John Snow Inc. on supply chain management in the pharmaceutical industry
- Ingrid De Beer, BUSPH/CGHD’s first social entrepreneur in residence on the challenges of providing basic commodities and health care in Namibia
Seminar Series Spring 2012
- Dr. Chris Gill discusses updates to the Pharmaceuticals Program curriculum and welcomes new and returning students
- Julia Giguere from MSCI Inc. on the Access to Medicine Index
- Alumni Meredith Wallace and Esprit Ma on the lessons learned a recap of the 1st Annual Pharmaceuticals Symposium
- Lydia Olson, Associate – Intellectual Property at Nutter McClennen & Fish LLP on IP and Patent Infringement in the Pharmaceutical Sector
- Dr. Chris Gill on Clinical Development
- Christopher Webster Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs Strategy at Vertex Pharmaceuticals on Regulatory Affairs
- Student Practicum Presentations