Parent Magazine

Meet Annika Mickos (Par ENG’14, CAS’17)

By Christy Olson Loring, Parents Program associate director

I credit BU parent volunteer Annika Mickos for my Twitter account. She’s done it all, from hosting events in her own home to teaching me how to tweet, and she is always ready and willing to lend her aid, expertise, and—most importantly—advice as a BU parent.

There are many reasons (besides my brand-new Twitter account) that I am grateful for Annika. She first hosted a Summer Send-off for students and their parents when her son Johan (ENG’14) was an incoming student, and she has been a wonderful ambassador for this University ever since.

She continued her BU engagement by joining the Parents Leadership Council, an advisory group for the Dean of Students. Last year, as her daughter Freja (CAS’17) prepared to attend the College of Arts & Sciences, Annika opened her home again to fellow parents for a reception with Daryl DeLuca, associate dean of students; Jeanne Knox, chairman of the Parents Leadership Council; and me. She delighted us with Scandinavian treats while we met with members of the BU family.

Annika continues to offer her help and assistance, whether she’s attending the Parent Fund Reception during Parents Weekend, representing CAS and ENG on the Parent Fund Committee, or supporting BU as an Annual Fund Leadership donor. Most recently, she volunteered at a reception for admitted students in the San Francisco Bay area. I couldn’t think of a better person to welcome and answer the questions of incoming students and their parents. As the mother of a freshman and a senior, she’s experienced it all.

I am grateful to count Annika among the BU family.

Have questions about volunteering as a BU parent? Contact the Parents Program at parents@bu.edu.