Frequently Asked Advising Questions

Allison advises IR majors with last names A through K, Asian Studies majors, and Latin American Studies majors.
Alice advises IR majors with last names L through Z, European Studies majors, and Middle East & North Africa Studies majors.

Call the Undergraduate Office at 617-353-6342. Please note that during the school year we do not make same-day appointments. You may call the office to inquire about the weekly walk-in schedules.

Contact your advisor. If we’re not the right person, we’ll connect you with someone who is.

Important semester dates can be found on the Registrar’s website.

  • Utilize the Education Resources Center (ERC)! They provide a range of free services from tutoring and writing assistance to study skills and time management strategies.
  • Go to your professor’s office hours. Discuss your performance and clarify what you need to do to be successful in the course.
  • Meet with your advisor to discuss your options.

Pass/Fail courses cannot be used to satisfy general education, language, writing, IUT gateway, or major/minor program requirements. Additional requirements and restrictions for Pass/Fail can be found here. Students considering Pass/Fail should discuss it with their advisor.

You need 128 credits to graduate. Students in the Dual Degree Program need 144 credits.

Yes, we are a school within a college. This means that students must meet the CAS general education requirements and that students receive all the resources and benefits available to CAS students as well as those available through the Pardee School.

To transfer in a course you will need to complete a Transfer Course Equivalency form and submit it, along with the syllabus for the course, to the relevant department (i.e. math courses are submitted to the math department). We recommend doing this well in advance of registering for the course.

All students within the College of Arts and Science are required to complete through 4th semester of a foreign language. Certain regional studies majors have additional language requirements:

  • Asian Studies requires study of one language (Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Urdu, or, where appropriate, another Asian language) through at least the fifth-semester level.
  • European Studies requires through at least the sixth-semester level of a European language (other than English).
  • Latin American Studies requires completion of a fifth-semester course in either Spanish or Portuguese.
  • Middle East & North Africa Studies requires at least six semesters of Middle Eastern (ME) language courses. All majors must demonstrate fourth-semester proficiency in one ME language, as well as taking at least two ME language courses past 212 or in a different language. Students who are certified bilingual in one ME language must complete two semesters of courses in a different ME language or languages.
  • Additionally, some study abroad programs may require some level of proficiency in the local language. Please visit the study abroad website for more information.


All students should meet with their advisor before applying to study abroad to ensure their program will fit with their plan of study. Prior to registering for courses abroad, students should review their courses with their advisor to ensure they will count towards the major.

No. But, you can choose which track you would like the course to count towards.

Between two majors you can double count up to 5 courses. Between a major and a minor you can double count up to 2 courses.

Complete a major/minor declaration form. Be sure to include any major(s)/minor(s) you want to keep (including your tracks).

Yes. For a list of minors open to CAS undergraduate students visit this link.

Check out our Current Pardee Student Resources page for information on internships, careers, and scholarships specific to global studies. The Center for Career Development also has a wealth of resources for students considering internships, graduate school, and career options. Students should also plan to attend Pardee Works career events and meet with their faculty mentors and advisors to discuss career paths.

Students interested in the Dual Degree Program (DDP) should attend an information session or schedule a meeting with the CAS Dual Degree coordinator.
Students must also meet with their Pardee School advisor to discuss their academic plan and ensure they’re registered for the necessary pre-requisites. Most schools have gateway courses that students must complete before they can apply for the DDP. These are explained in the link above.

Transferring to other schools within BU is called an Intra-University Transfer. If students who are enrolled full-time in one of the University’s undergraduate schools or colleges have engaged fully in the program of their school/college and have determined that that program is not suitable for them, they may seek an IUT if they meet the following criteria:

  • Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater on at least 12 credits per semester for at least one semester at Boston University.
  • Satisfactory completion of Gateway Criteria as certified by an advisor in the Receiving School (the BU school or college to which a student desires to transfer). CAS, which houses the Pardee School, has no gateway requirements. Students considering intra-University transfer must discuss their transfer in person with an advisor in the Receiving School.

Full information on the IUT process, including deadlines, can be found here.

Students interested in the BA/MAIA program should meet with their advisor in their Sophomore or Junior year to make sure they are on track for the rigorous course load. Students should also be aware of the eligibility and application requirements.


  • Students apply in their junior year of study.
  • Must have a 3.5 cumulative GPA and 3.6 major GPA (major courses excluding EC101 and EC102.)
  • Students must have taken a minimum of four IR classes at the time of application, including at least one regional or functional track class.


  • Application form and questionnaire
  • Two faculty recommendations
  • Plan of Study that includes major GPA verification signature from undergraduate academic advisor
  • 1,000 word personal statement with a proposed research topic
  • Unofficial GPA