Paul E. McManus

Faculty Associate
Senior Lecturer at the Department of Strategy and Innovation, Questrom School of Business
pmcmanus@bu.edu
617-353-4258

Education

BS, Wentworth Institute of Technology; MBA, Boston University

Expertise

Innovation management, technology commercialization and entrepreneurship as related to clean energy and environmental sustainability.

paul mcmanusBiography

Paul McManus is a Senior Lecturer in the Strategy & Innovation department at the Boston University Questrom School of Business (MBA ’86) where he teaches a portfolio of required and elective courses in strategy at the undergraduate, graduate and executive levels. McManus’ current interests extend from a basis in corporate strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship to topics such as; strategic problem framing and foresight, business model innovation and multi-sided platform development, and strategies for cross-sector, multi-stakeholder, market-based solutions for sustainable development with a focus in the following areas:

(i) ERS (Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability) initiatives and non-market actions as integrated elements of value creation and capture within core corporate strategy frameworks,

(ii) Emergent strategies for radical innovation and new venture creation, corporate renewal and industry transformation with a particular interest in externality-driven industry disruptions,

(iii) Multi-sided platform/ecosystem-based business strategies within and beyond high-tech, in industries such as: energy, transportation, agriculture and education,

(iv) New venture creation and ecosystem development with a particular interest in emerging and BOP markets,

(v) Market-driven, cross-sector platforms/ecosystems for sustainable development that mobilize investment, innovation and deployment at global scale,

Prior to joining the faculty at Boston University full time in 2006, I was a member of the venture capital firm Boston Millennia Partners for six years. Previously, I spent eight years as a consultant to venture capital firms, corporate development groups, economic development agencies and international startups and fifteen years as a corporate new venture development executive, product manager and engineer in the high-tech industry. I received my MBA from Boston University in 1986 and my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Wentworth Institute of Technology in 1977.