Registering as a PI

5.3 Registering as a PI/PD with Federal Agencies

The NSF, in its FastLane system, and the NIH, in its eRA Commons system, require principal investigators, project directors, and other personnel participating on a research project to be registered with the agency. Individuals seeking to register with either NSF or NIH can submit a request here. Since affiliations are institution-specific, faculty are reminded that—even if registered via one institution—an additional institutional affiliation or change of institution requires a new registration.