Sponsored Programs Handbook
Boston University is committed to providing resources to facilitate high-quality research, depth of knowledge, education of students, and the promotion of public welfare. The institution is also dedicated to preserving the public’s trust in its faculty and staff. To this end, the University expects every member of its community to maintain the highest standards of conduct in pursuing research activities and to be vigilant against fraud, misuse, or mismanagement of funds provided by both BU and sponsors external to the University.
This handbook is the product of a collaborative and shared effort between the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), Post Award Financial Operations (PAFO), Research Compliance (RC) and other Offices involved in the management and oversight of the research enterprise. It is designed to provide information, policies, procedures, and links to ensure that faculty, staff, and students comply with the obligations associated with the use of external or institutional funds to conduct research and other scholarly activities.
While this handbook is a compendium of official statements of University policy, and every attempt is made to keep the handbook current, readers must necessarily rely on links to specific departmental policies which are referenced throughout the document.
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Standards for the Conduct of Research at Boston University
- Chapter 2. General Guidance on the Administration of Sponsored Projects
- Chapter 3. Assurances for Proposal Submission
- Chapter 4. Sources of Project Support
- Chapter 5. Proposal Development
- Chapter 6. Budget Development
- Chapter 7. Proposal Review, Approval, and Processing
- Chapter 8. Award Acceptance
- Chapter 9. Post-Award Administration
- Chapter 10. Other Awards and Agreements
- Chapter 11. Transfer Issues in Grant Administration
- Chapter 12. Other Concerns