Injunction on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research After 8/23/10
Grant awards for human embryonic stem cell research that were funded on or before 8/23/10 are not affected by a preliminary injunction order issued by the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Award recipients may continue to expend the funds awarded prior to that date. NIH has clarified the status of post-8/23 activities in NOT-OD-10-126 released Aug 30, 2010. Suspended until further notice are :
- Any further NIH activity to implement, apply, or act pursuant to the NIH Guidelines;
- Issuance of all pending competing, and noncompeting continuation hESC awards and contracts;
- Peer review of all pending competing hESC applications and proposals;
- All review of hESC lines for inclusion on the NIH Human Embryonic Stem Cell Registry under the NIH Guidelines. The Registry is not accepting submissions of information about hESC lines for the purpose of establishing eligibility for funding under the NIH Guidelines;
- The February 23, 2010, proposal to revise the NIH Guidelines, FR_Notice_2-23-2010.
More information, including the NIH Director’s response to the injunction, at: NIH Stem Cell Information.