Alternative RCR Programs
Currently approved Alternative Advanced RCR Programs (January 2013)
The following departments have obtained approval from the RCREAC for the following Alternative RCR Live Components:
- Chemsitry CH801/802
- Astronomy AS802
- Computer Science CS697
One of these courses, taken in the first year at BU, will meet the requirements for Advanced RCR Live. The individual must also complete Advanced RCR Online Preparation, to qualify for a Certificate of Completion of RCR
Submitting Proposals for Alternative RCR
Departments, schools, and programs may propose alternative RCR Instruction Programs for their degree candidates, their postdoctoral fellows, or open to a wider audience. These RCR instruction programs may be, for example, part of a full course in research methods, or may be stand-alone RCR instruction programs.
Proposals for these alternative programs will be reviewed and approved for a three-year period, subject to annual continuing review, by the Office of Research Compliance, in conjunction with the RCREAC and its Subcommittee on Compliance, to ensure that minimum standards are met.
Proposals for Alternative RCR Programs are expected to utilize the following forms and procedures:
- Procedural Guidelines for Review of Proposals for Alternative RCR Program
- Minimum Standards (for core and alternative RCR)
- Proposal Form for Alternative Advanced-RCR Programs and Review Grid
- Continuing Review Report
and be submitted to:
Office of Research Compliance: Responsible Conduct of Research Program
85 East Newton Street, Suite M-840, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
ORC will provide assistance and resources to any departments wishing to develop their own alternative RCR Instruction Programs. RCR instructional resources that will be made available include:
- Case studies. A catalog of case studies for use in alternative RCR instruction programs will be made available on this webpage. Please check back soon for updates.
- Instructional Materials. ORC will maintain a library of instructional materials to complement formal RCR instruction. To view the instructional materials available, see RCR Resources .
- RCR On-Request Instruction. ORC will provide formal classroom instruction in various content areas of RCR upon request. To request classroom training, see Contact.