The books and articles below can be used in the development of alternative RCR programs.
Boston University has established an RCR course through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). Please review the Instructions on Registering for CITI.
Print items listed below are available through Research Compliance .
- Beauchamp, Thomas L. and James F. Childress. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Benos, Dale J., Jorge Fabres, John Farmer, Jessica P. Gutierrez, Kristin Hennessy, David Kosek, Joo Hyoung Lee, Dragos Olteanu, Tara Russell, Faheem Shaikh, and Kai Wang. “Ethics and Scientific Publication.” Advances in Physiology Education. 25 (2005): 59–74.
- Biagiolo, Mario and Peter Galison, eds. Scientific Authorship: Credit and Intellectual Property in Science. New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Budinger, Thomas F. and Miriam D. Budinger. Ethics of Emerging Technologies Scientific Facts and Moral Challenges. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
- Elliott, Deni and Judy E. Stern, eds. Research Ethics: A Reader. Lebanon, NH: University Press of New England, 1997.
- Gallin, John I. and Frederick P. Ognibene, eds. Principles and Practice of Clinical Research. Burlington, MA: Elsevier, Inc., 2007.
- Harris Jr., Charles E., Michael S. Pritchard, and Michael J. Rabins. Engineering Ethics Concepts & Cases. California: Wadsworth, 2009.
- Israel, Mark and Iain Hay. Research Ethics for Social Scientists. London: SAGE Publications, Inc., 2006.
- Koocher, Gerald P. and Patricia Keith-Spiegel. Ethics in Psychology and the Mental Health Professions Standards and Cases. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Korthals, Michael and Robert J. Bogers, eds. Ethics for Life Scientists. The Netherlands: Springer, 2004.
- Macrina, Francis L. Scientific Integrity Text and Cases in Responsible Conduct of Research. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2005.
- Martin, Mike W. and Roland Schinzinger. Ethics in Engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
- Murphy, Timothy F. Case Studies in Biomedical Research Ethics. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004.
- National Academy of Sciences. Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On Being a Mentor to Students in Science and Engineering. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1997.
- National Academy of Sciences. Integrity in Scientific Research: Creating an Environment That Promotes Responsible Conduct. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2002.
- National Academy of Sciences. On Being A Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2009.
- National Academy of Sciences. Responsible Science: Ensuring the Integrity of the Research Process. Vol. 1. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1992.
- National Academy of Sciences. Responsible Science: Ensuring the Integrity of the Research Process. Vol. 2. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1993.
- National Academy of Sciences. The Responsible Conduct of Research in the Health Sciences. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1989.
- Penslar, Robin Levin, ed. Research Ethics: Cases & Materials. Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1995.
- Shamoo, Adil E. and David B. Resnik. Responsible Conduct of Research. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc., 2009.
- Bebeau, Muriel J., Kenneth D. Pimple, Karen M. T. Muskavitch, Sandra L. Borden, and David H. Smith. “Moral Reasoning in Scientific Research Cases for Teaching and Assessment.” Bloomington, IN: Indiana University, 1995.
- Bird, Stephanie J. “Mentors, Advisors, and Supervisors: Their Role in Teaching Responsible Research Conduct.” Science and Engineering Ethics. 7 (2001): 455–468.
- Bird, Stephanie J. and Robert L. Sprague. “Editorial Introduction: Mentoring and the Responsible Conduct of Research: Reflections and Future.” Science and Engineering Ethics. 7 (2001): 451–453.
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund and Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty. North Carolina: Burroughs Wellcome Fund and Maryland: Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2004.
- Committee on Academic Responsibility. “Fostering Academic Integrity.” Massachusetts Institute of Technology, April 15, 1992.
- Dubois, James M. and Jeffrey M. Dueker. “Teaching and Assessing the Responsible Conduct of Research: A Delphi Consensus Panel Report.” Journal of Research Administration. September 2009.
- Kalichman, Michael. “Collaboration.” Generated in part by the Responsible Conduct of Research Education Committee. September 2002.
- Kalichman, Michael. “Data Management.” Generated in part by the Responsible Conduct of Research Education Committee. September 2002.
- National Academy of Engineering. Ethics Education and Scientific and Engineering Research. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2009.
- National Postdoctoral Association. “Responsible Conduct of Research Toolkit: Tools for Developing Programs on Responsible Conduct of Research for Postdocs.” May 21, 2008.
- Steneck, Nicholas H. Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 2007.
- Steneck, Nicholas H. and Ruth Ellen Bulger. “The History, Purpose, and Future of Instruction in the Responsible Conduct of Research.” Academic Medicine. 82.9 (2007): 829–834.
- Stern, Judy E. and Deni Elliott. The Ethics of Scientific Research: A Guidebook for Course Development. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1997.
- Center for Materials and Devices for Information Technology Research: RCR Training Modules
- Columbia University Newsroom
- Council of Graduate Schools: Scholarly Integrity and Responsible Conduct of Research
- Course: Responsible Conduct of Research & Related Policy Issues (Columbia University)
- Eastern Michigan University: Responsible Conduct in Research Instruction
- Federal Office of Research Integrity
- National Postdoctoral Association: RCR for Postdocs
- National Science Foundation: International Research Integrity
- National Science Foundation: Responsible Conduct of Research (FR Doc No: E9-19930)
- NIH Bioethics Resources on the Web
- NIH Bioethics Resources on the Web: Research Ethics
- NIH Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research
- NIH: What is Ethics in Research & Why is it Important?
- Northern Illinois University: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Office of Research Integrity: General Resources
- Office of Research Integrity: Policies
- “On Being a Scientist: Responsible Conduct in Research” 2nd Edition
- Online Ethics Center (OEC)
- ORI: Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research by Nicholas H. Steneck
- ORI Research Integrity: Lab Management Video Vignettes
- Poynter Center: Teaching Research Ethics
- Purdue University: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Resources for Research Ethics Education
- Teaching the Responsible Conduct of Research in Humans by Stanley G. Korenman
- UC San Diego University Ethics Center
- University of Washington School of Medicine: Research Ethics
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: Introduction & Guide to Resources on Research Ethics