Alternative RCR Programs
Currently approved alternative advanced RCR programs (January 2013)
The following departments have obtained approval from the RCREAC for the following alternative RCR live components:
- Chemistry: CH 801/802
- Astronomy: AS 802
- Computer Science: CS 697
One of these courses, taken in the first year at BU, will meet the requirements for Advanced RCR (Live). The individual must also complete Advanced RCR (Online Preparation) to qualify for an RCR certificate of completion.
Submitting Proposals for Alternative RCR
Departments, schools, and programs may propose alternative RCR instruction programs for their degree candidates, their postdoctoral fellows, or a wider audience. These RCR instruction programs may be, for example, part of a full course in research methods, or may be stand-alone RCR instruction programs.
Proposals for these alternative programs will be reviewed and approved for a three-year period, subject to annual continuing review, by the Research Compliance office, in conjunction with the RCREAC and its subcommittee on compliance, to ensure that minimum standards are met.
Proposals for alternative RCR programs are expected to utilize the following forms and procedures:
- Procedural Guidelines for Review of Proposals for Alternative RCR Program
- Minimum Standards (for Core and Alternative RCR)
- Proposal Form for Alternative Advanced RCR Programs and Review Grid
- Continuing Review Report
and be submitted to:
Research Compliance: Responsible Conduct of Research Program
85 E. Newton Street, 8th Floor, Suite M-840
Boston, MA 02118
The Research Compliance office will provide assistance and resources to any departments wishing to develop their own alternative RCR instruction programs. RCR instructional resources that will be made available include:
- Case studies: A catalog of case studies for use in alternative RCR instruction programs will be made available on this website. Please check back soon for updates.
- Instructional materials: Research Compliance will maintain a library of instructional materials to complement formal RCR instruction. To view the instructional materials available, see RCR Resources.
- RCR on-request instruction: Research Compliance will provide formal classroom instruction in various content areas of RCR upon request. See our contact list to request classroom training.