The training mandates include:
- Initial safety training prior to any individual working in or around a research-related facility;
- Hazard-specific training;
- Periodic refresher training; and
- On-the-job mentorship provided by a designated mentor [i.e., principal investigator (PI), laboratory director, laboratory safety coordinator (LSC)].
The fundamental goal of the training program is to ensure that all individuals working in the laboratory have adequate didactic and hands-on training to perform their activities in a manner consistent with the culture of safety established at BU and BMC.
To meet these goals, the training program is designed to meet the following standards of excellence:
- Emphasize the importance of the culture of safety at BU and BMC;
- Robust and comprehensive in nature;
- Logically and modularly designed;
- Based on didactic and hands-on requirements;
- Focused on the functions performed by the individual;
- Compliant with regulatory requirements;
- Provides training for safe routine operations and for unplanned events;
- Is based on a partnership between operations and science programs;
- Fully engages laboratory practitioners throughout development and implementation; and
- Become a model program for other institutions.