CLIP is designed to meet a number of goals:
- Provide a comprehensive evaluation of the institutional safety programs in a laboratory or facility;
- Address issues of health and safety in an integrated and holistic manner in order to improve overall safety;
- Improve the overall efficiency of safety programs by reducing the need for repeated visits for each category of inspection;
- Reduce burdens on the laboratories by providing an integrated safety program; and
- Allow for the identification of trends in individual or institutional safety programs.
The philosophy of CLIP is to educate and support the research community’s awareness of safe laboratory practices and regulatory obligations, and to minimize workplace hazards. It is not the program’s goal to discipline or penalize researchers, but to assist in correcting any hazards that are identified.