Contact: Kevin Carleton, 617/353-2240 | email@example.com
(Boston, Mass.) — When the Boston University Crew took to the waters of the Charles River this spring, George N. Hurd, Jr. was with them once again. But this time, Judge George N. Hurd, Jr., was back at home in Milton, and neither coaching nor rowing with the team.
How did this distinguished jurist and former Boston University crew coach manage this feat? Simple — the crew program at BU honored their long-time friend and supporter by naming an eight-oared shell for him.
Hurd coached men’s crew at BU from 1940 to 1942 while a student at Harvard. He served with the State Department from 1942 to 1945, and then returned to Boston, graduating from Boston University’s School of Law in 1948. He has remained a loyal friend and supporter of BU Crew ever since.
When the shell was presented to the rowing program, Judge Hurd asked that it be dedicated to the memory of the 1942 Crew, five of whom lost their lives in World War II.
Judge Hurd also has donated to the University an impressive collection of historic rowing prints dating from the 19th century. Included among the collection are a number of Currier & Ives prints, several chromolithographs, a wood engraving prepared for Harper’s Weekly, several watercolors, and a number of other works produced by a variety of early printmaking methods. Several of the works date from the 1820s and 1830s.
Some of the prints are on display on the Boston University campus in the DeWolfe Boathouse on the Charles River, and others are on display in the Office of Alumni Relations.
Following his graduation from the University’s Law School, Hurd spent much of his career in private practice in Quincy, Milton and Boston. He was appointed to the bench in 1973, serving first in the Brockton District Court and later was also appointed to the Appellate Division. In 1979, he was named associate justice of the Superior Court.
A lifelong resident of Milton, Hurd lives there today with his wife of 61 years, Elizabeth.