HHMI Summer Lab Experience
- A total of 25 rising sophomore students will be selected and funded through the HHMI Summer Lab Experience. Funding will include:
$4,000: Student Stipend
$750: Research Supplies
$800: Student Travel (We will support four students to attend the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant number 52006914 is funding the HHMI Summer Lab Experience.
- Be sure to print legibly on the application so that it may be accurately evaluated.
- Please submit completed application to Ashley Hoesing (email@example.com)
- This program will run from 6/3/13 – 8/9/13. Grantees are expected to work 35 hours per week in the lab for the full 10 weeks of the program.
- Application process:
- Find a Faculty Sponsor: look at the BU Research Opportunities page to see the possible labs you could work in. Once you have identified the specific areas of neuroscience that are of greatest interest to you, read the research descriptions of the faculty labs you have identified as most interesting. Look over a few of the journal articles they have published, paying particular attention to the methods section. Are these the kinds of experiments you can imagine yourself doing?
- Next, contact the faculty primary investigators (PI) and inquire about working with them over the summer. Please be sure to include in your email to them the following: I am a first year student in the Undergraduate Program in Neuroscience here at BU and I intend to apply for summer funding through them with the HHMI grant.
- Develop a research project with this Sponsor that will be completed during the summer
- Complete this application
- Turn this application in by noon on Tuesday, February 26, 2012