Boston University Tanglewood Institute (BUTI)
Boston University College of Fine Arts
- Dates: Two-Week to Six-Week Programs, June 21 – August 15, 2020
- Grade Level: Ages 10–20
After 53 years and more than 10,000 alumni strong, we’re a leader in the field. We’re a program of Boston University College of Fine Arts and affiliated with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Tanglewood Music Center. With those resources at our fingertips, you can expect an unforgettable experience, but it goes even deeper than that. For many, we’re a summer of exploration and discovery. And for some, we’re the pivotal moment when a student dares to pursue a life in the arts.
As a BUTI student, you become a part of the Tanglewood continuum—a rich community of artists like no other. From your peer musicians in training, to teachers who inspire, to the rock stars in the field, the collective learning and aspirations of every musician are fueled by the synergy of a world-class university and major symphony orchestra. That’s what makes BUTI extraordinary.
BUTI has programs for all orchestral instruments, voice, piano, and composition, ranging in duration from two to six weeks. Depending on your area of study, you may be eligible for more than one program, and students may apply for more than one program with the same audition. Select your area of study below to view our program offerings.
JUNIOR STRINGS INTENSIVE | JUNE 21 – JULY 4 | AGES 10-13
- Improve and grow within an intensive and supportive musical community.
- Violin, Viola, and Cello
TWO-WEEK WORKSHOPS | JUNE 21 – JULY 4 | AGES 14-20
- Learn from leading professionals in a small group setting for focused immersion in your craft,
- Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Trumpet, Horn, Trombone, Tuba & Euphonium, Percussion, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, String Quartet, Electroacoustic Composition
YOUNG ARTISTS PROGRAMS | STARTING JULY 5 | AGES 14-19
- Thrive and challenge yourself in an artistic environmental without parallel.
- Orchestra, Voice, Composition, and Harp (6 weeks); Wind Ensemble (4 weeks); Piano (3 or 6 weeks); Conducting (2 weeks)
- How: Online application plus live or recorded audition
- When: January 21, 2020 (Late applications accepted and reviewed on a space-available basis)
- Where to Apply: bu.edu/tanglewood
For more information, please visit the Boston University Tanglewood Institute (BUTI) website.