Here you’ll find a number of resources to help get you started with your new academic life at Boston University.
NOTE TO NEW STUDENTS: Check your BU Email address! The College of Engineering sent out Early Bird emails to BU email addresses in mid June. The Division emailed advisor assignments, Orientation and Registration information on June 22.
Fall 2015 Important Dates
- August 12, 4pm: Deadline to sign up for the Semester MBTA Pass
- August 31 – September 1: Registration/Check-In with Elizabeth Flagg at 15 St. Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- August 31 — morning: College of Engineering Orientation
- August 31 — afternoon: Division Orientation Sessions
- September 1: Division Welcome Lunch (joint with Systems Engineering)
- September 2: First Day of Classes
- Medical Insurance Waiver: The completed Medical Insurance Waiver must be received by Student Accounting Services to waive participation for the Fall 2015 semester. Refer to this page for details on the process and eligibility.
Resources you may need for the Registration Process and New Student Check List outlined below. Includes Forms, Important Dates, Course Information, Account and Other Resources (Student Accounts, IT, Room Access and more), Policies and Procedures
- Contact your Advisor (to be assigned — you will be informed mostly likely by mid-June) to discuss your course registration selection in person.
- Have your advisor approve your course selection.
Submit a signed Registration Form at 15 Saint Mary’s Street, Room 119.
OR by email to the Graduate Programs Manager with your advisor’s approval of your course selection.
If you register by email, provide the complete course number (College, Course Number, Section, Credits).
- International students, your registration will be completed after you have received your visa authorization. Please let me know when your visa is approved.
- Submit a Funding Application and Funding Contract Certification Page
(ONLY Funded Students: Dean’s Fellows, Systems Fellows, Research Assistants)
New Student Check List
- Check In
International Students — Upon arrival, check in at the International Students & Scholars Office at 888 Commonwealth Avenue)
Everyone — Check in with Elizabeth Flagg, 15 Saint Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- BU Email Account — set up your BU email. Contact the Graduate Programs Office for information on how to set up Early Bird email access.
- Confirm Registration on the Student Link.
- Settle your Student Account (Student Link or Student Accounting Office at 881 Commonwealth Ave).
- BU Terrier Card — go to the Terrier Card Office at 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Confirm Compliance with the University (emergency contact phone, immunizations, student account, MA Motor Vehicle Law acknowledgement)
International Student Resources
- International Student Orientation Informational Meeting (check with ISSO about the meeting time for new students– international students are required to attend.)
- For pre-arrival information, please refer to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).
- Please note that Immigration regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your program indicated in section 5 of your SEVIS Form I-20.
- How to Obtain a Social Security Card for Student Employment