Here you’ll find a number of resources to help get you started with your new academic life at Boston University.
Fall 2014 Important Dates
- Early August: Deadline to sign up for the Semester MBTA Pass
- Monday, March 31: Registration begins.
- August 27 -28: Check-In with Elizabeth Flagg at 15 St. Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- Tuesday, September 2: First Day of Classes
- Thursday, September 4, PhD Orientation, 9am, 15 St. Mary’s Street Rm 105
- Wednesday, September 10, Masters Orientation, 4pm, 15 St. Mary’s Street Rm 105
- Tuesday, September 30 (expected): Medical Insurance Waiver Deadline. The completed Medical Insurance Waiver must be received by Student Accounting Services to waive participation for the 2014 semester. Refer to this page for details on the process and eligibility.
Resources you may need for the Registration Process and New Student Check List outlined below. Includes Forms, Important Dates, Course Information, Account and Other Resources (Student Accounts, IT, Room Access and more), Policies and Procedures
- Contact your Advisor (to be assigned — you will be informed mostly likely by mid-June) to discuss your course registration selection in person, by phone or by email.
- Have your advisor approve your course selection.
Submit a signed Registration Form OR forward the email with your advisor’s approval of your course selection.
If you register by email, provide the complete course number (College, Course Number, Section, Credits).
- International students, your registration will be completed after you have received your visa authorization. Please let me know when your visa is approved.
- Submit a Funding Application and Funding Contract Certification Page (Funded Students Only: Dean’s Fellows, Systems Fellows, Research Assistants)
New Student Check List
- Check In
International Students — Upon arrival, check in at the International Students & Scholars Office at 888 Commonwealth Avenue)
Everyone — Check in with Elizabeth Flagg, 15 Saint Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- BU Email Account — set up your BU email. Contact the Graduate Programs Office for information on how to set up Early Bird email access.
- Confirm Registration on the Student Link.
- Settle your Student Account (Student Link or Student Accounting Office at 881 Commonwealth Ave).
- BU Terrier Card — go to the Terrier Card Office at 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Confirm Compliance with the University (emergency contact phone, immunizations, student account, MA Motor Vehicle Law acknowledgement)
International Student Resources
- Annual International Student Orientation Informational Meeting (check with ISSO about the meeting time — international students are required to attend. The date is not available at this time.)
- For pre-arrival information, please refer to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) website.
- Please note that Immigration regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your program indicated in section 5 of your SEVIS Form I-20.
- How to Obtain a Social Security Card for Student Employment