Master of Science in Banking & Financial Services Management (online)
The online Master of Science in Banking & Financial Services Management is designed to prepare students for success in the fast-paced, dynamic financial sector by combining a solid foundation in general management practices with expertise in corporate finance, global markets, and the financial services industry.
Students who complete the master’s degree in Banking & Financial Services Management will be able to demonstrate:
- Advanced knowledge of financial concepts, such as time value of money, discounted cash flows, compound interest, and valuation of projects using net present value (NPV), internal rate of return (IRR), payback period, and modified internal rate of return (MIRR).
- An understanding of portfolio management, the importance of correlations, utility functions, asset allocations, and optimal portfolio construction, as well as investment risk management, hedging strategies, credit risk, and counterparty risk.
- Proficiency in equity valuation, dividend discount models (DDM), relative valuation techniques, and free cash-flow discounting methods. Students will also be proficient in fixed-income security valuation, fixed-income portfolio management, the concept of duration and convexity, and different fixed-income instruments, such as government bonds, corporate bonds, municipal bonds, convertible and callable bonds, etc.
- A thorough understanding of derivative instruments (options, futures, and swaps) and their characteristics, such as payoffs, profit structures, multiple instrument strategies, and applications.
- A good understanding of international investing strategies, foreign currency risk and currency risk management using derivative products, foreign country interest rate risk management, including the importance of political risk and expropriation risk considerations.
Learn more about the online MS in Banking & Financial Services by visiting Boston University’s Distance Education website.