In order to prepare for graduation, undergraduates should be sure to complete each step in the graduation process in a timely manner, as outlined in the sections below.
Begin the Graduation Process
Graduation is NOT automatic. In order to graduate, you must:
- Complete a Graduation Application (no fee involved) two semesters before you intend to complete your degree requirements, and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Student Services.
- Successfully complete all academic requirements. You will officially graduate only when all degree requirements are met. You may participate (“walk”) in the May Commencement ceremonies if you plan to complete all academic requirements by September.
- Have official transcripts of any outstanding coursework from another college delivered to the Office of Undergraduate Student Services.
- Return Graduation Application and any official transcripts to:
Boston University Metropolitan College
Undergraduate Student Services
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 102
Boston, MA 02215
Prepare for Commencement
When you have received your graduation information, take the following steps to prepare for Commencement ceremonies:
- Update diploma and graduation information on the Student Link (be sure to update this information even if you do not plan to attend Commencement ceremonies).
- Order your cap and gown. Everyone who participates in an academic ceremony on Commencement Day is required to wear a cap and gown as approved by the University. Academic dress will be available via Herff Jones and Barnes & Noble at Boston University.
- Please note: Due to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, students who have restricted the release of degree-related information cannot have their names printed in the Commencement Book. To check whether you have restricted this information, login to the Student Link and click on “Personal,” then “Data Restriction.” If the box “Degrees, honors, and awards received” is checked and you would like to have your name included in the Commencement Book, please uncheck the box and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org granting permission to print your name. If you have questions or are unable to logon to the Student Link, please contact the Office of the University Registrar.
Attend Commencement Ceremonies
- You may attend the Metropolitan College Convocation Ceremony at the Agganis Arena (Saturday, May 19, 2018, 4 p.m.) as well as the University-wide Commencement Ceremony at Nickerson Field (Sunday, May 20, 2018, 1 p.m.).
- If you are a May graduate, you can pick up your diploma at the Metropolitan College Convocation Ceremony Reception—a picture ID is required.
- Remember to check your final transcript (you may request this from the Office of the University Registrar) and diploma to verify for correct spelling of your name, proper degree, major, and date.
Undergraduate Latin Honors
The calculation for summa cum laude is based on the top 5 percent of the class, magna cum laude, the next 10 percent; and cum laude, the next 15 percent.
May 2018, September 2018 and January 2019
|Magna Cum Laude:
|Summa Cum Laude:
May 2017, September 2017 and January 2018
|Magna Cum Laude:
|Summa Cum Laude:
- Latin Honors for May graduates are applied to their records the first week of February
- Latin Honors for September graduates are applied to their records the first week of September
- Latin Honors for January graduates are applied to their records the first week of January