In order to prepare for graduation, graduate students should be sure to complete each step in the graduation process in a timely manner, as outlined in the sections below.
Begin the Graduation Process
Graduation is NOT automatic. In order to graduate, you must:
- The semester before you intend to complete your degree requirements, complete a Graduation Application (no fee involved) as indicated by your graduate department or program office in the Commencement Directory.
- Successfully complete all academic requirements. You will officially graduate only when all degree requirements are met. You may participate (“walk”) in the May commencement ceremonies if you plan to complete all academic requirements by September.
Once your Graduation Application has been approved, you will receive notification via email. This information will include the times and locations of the University and college ceremonies, plus links to this website and the University-wide website where you can find further details concerning the events and necessary preparations. You will receive these communications only after you have applied and been approved for graduation.
Prepare for Commencement
When you have received your graduation information, take the following steps to prepare for Commencement ceremonies:
- Update diploma and graduation information on the Student Link (be sure to update this information even if you do not plan to attend Commencement ceremonies).
- Order your cap and gown. Everyone who participates in an academic ceremony on Commencement Day is required to wear a cap and gown as approved by the University. Academic dress will be available via Herff Jones and Barnes & Noble at Boston University.
- Please note: Due to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, students who have restricted the release of degree-related information cannot have their names printed in the Commencement Book. To check whether you have restricted this information, login to the Student Link and click on “Personal,” then “Directory Information.” If the box “Commencement Program” is checked and you would like to have your name included in the Commencement Book, please uncheck the box. If you have questions or are unable to log on to the Student Link, please contact the Office of the University Registrar.
Attend Commencement Ceremonies
- You may attend the Metropolitan College Convocation Ceremony at the Agganis Arena (Saturday, May 20, 2017, 4 p.m.) as well as the University-wide Commencement Ceremony at Nickerson Field (Sunday, May 21, 2017, 1 p.m.).
- You may pick up your diploma at the Metropolitan College Convocation Ceremony Reception—a picture ID is required.
- Remember to check your final transcript (you may request this from the Office of the University Registrar) and diploma to verify for correct spelling of your name, proper degree, major, and date.