Green Your Event
Events & Conferences is part of the campus-wide commitment to greening our campus. We are in the process of Green Office certification by BU Sustainability and it’s definitively bringing out the competitive nature of our staff to receive Gold Certification!
“President Robert A. Brown has called the entire academic community to action and announced a major Boston University Sustainability Initiative ‘focused on reducing our energy consumption and decreasing waste across our campus.’ He requested students, faculty and staff, contribute innovative ideas to ensure the best, most cost effective approaches towards energy conservation.” -sustainability@BU
Ideas to “green” your next event
- Think before you print. Design materials to be printed on both sides of the paper.
- Rethink what needs to be printed for your guests. Use computer projections to share information. You can post presentations online at slideshare.
- Encourage guests to carpool or take public transportation to campus.
- Ask questions early on in the planning about how green your venue and vendors are.
- Make sure the guest count you give to Catering is accurate, so there is less food prepared and less waste in the end.
- For display items, like table tents, print just what you need to get your message across. Less can be more effective!
- Event “swag” is loved by all, but do we really need so much of it? Make meaningful choices about the “swag” your company gives away at a conference or event.
And remember, if you are working to “green” your next event, FLAUNT IT! Tell everyone about the eco-friendly choices you made. What you do at your event today may inspire someone else to make the same eco-friendly choices at their next event. We love this video from BU Sustainability so we had to share!