Reservations & Sales Student Positions
We are the gatekeepers of almost all campus space, and we know what works when, where, and how.
We book classrooms, auditoriums, conference rooms, ballrooms, outdoor space, and other special event venues for meetings, workshops, lectures, conferences, performances, films, rehearsals, receptions, dinners, and special events. Our office processes over 28,000 reservations every year for BU departments and student organizations so our area is busy! Our office is located at 925 Commonwealth Ave.
- All student positions are part-time. Your work schedule is created around your academic schedule so you will not be asked to work during your classes. We prefer our students to work at least 10 to 12 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
- Having a work-study award is required.
- We employ up to 6 students each semester and expect them to be professional, friendly, courteous, and helpful to our clients.
- Excellent customer service and computer skills are required as is the ability to work as a team with your peers.
- Students must have excellent oral and written communication skills as the position requires speaking with clients over the telephone as well as a high volume of work via email.
- We look for students who are organized, have a high attention to detail and accuracy, and can remain calm in a fast paced work environment.
- Students have the responsibility to effectively communicate all conflicts in a timely manner with their supervisor.
- You are expected to be on time for all shifts and dressed appropriately to work in an office environment where you may interact in person with clients.
- Training will be provided for all positions.
Job Description for Reservations Assistants
Reservations Assistants coordinate University event scheduling, determine appropriateness of events and locations, and provide basic event consultation and guidance in order to ensure successful extracurricular programming by student organizations and University departments. They maintain the University’s scheduling system by following prescribed room booking procedures and using the University’s room scheduling and event softwares. They communicate room booking reports to clients and internal service providers as needed, and prepare and distribute weekly room booking calendars to key University departments. They work with clients to resolve any scheduling issues that may arise, and also interact with clients from outside of the University who are inquiring about facility availability and rental information. Reservations Assistants must have a strong working knowledge of the BU campus and physical plant. In addition, they must have demonstrated customer service skills, strong interpersonal and human relations skills, verbal and written communication skills, planning/organizational skills, and the ability to work with a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced working environment. Think you can do it?
We typically employ about 4-6 students during the academic year and 1 student in the summer. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and will be considered for positions in the following semester.