The Materials group is engaged in highly interdisciplinary materials research to drive new innovations to solve critical societal problems in areas such as energy and healthcare, among others.
- Materials for Healthcare Applications: Exciting developments over the last decade of materials-based technologies for diagnostics and therapeutic applications include lab-on-a-chip devices, understanding the mechanical behavior of biomaterials, regeneration of bone and cartilage, and novel scintillating materials for next generation of detectors for medical imaging.
- Materials for Energy and Environment: This research focuses on materials related to clean energy conversion, including solid oxide fuel cells, membrane based environmentally friendly processing of energy-intensive metals, hydrogen generation and storage, carbon dioxide separation for sequestration, advanced coatings for clean energy generation, and waste to energy conversion technologies.
- Materials Theory and Modeling: Ongoing research is focused on predictive simulation of electronic, optical, magnetic, and mechanical properties of materials, and multi-scale modeling of biological composites.
- Materials at the Micro/Nano Scale: Mechanical behavior of MEMS/NEMS devices, physics of ultra-thin metal films, and development of polymeric micro/nano-biosystems for in-situ study of cellular and sub-cellular mechanics.
- Soumendra Basu
- James Bird
- Kamil Ekinci
- Michael Gevelber
- Srikanth Gopalan
- Douglas P. Holmes
- Catherine Klapperich
- Xi Lin
- Elise Morgan
- Uday Pal
- Harold Park
- Emily Ryan
- Vinod Sarin
- Aaron Schmidt
- Katherine Zhang
- Xin Zhang
- Advanced Materials Process Control Laboratory
- Biomedical Microdevices and Microenvironments Laboratory
- Computational Energy Laboratory
- Computational Nanomechanics Laboratory
- High-Temperature Chemical and Electrochemical Processing of Materials Laboratory
- High-Temperature Oxidation Laboratory
- Interfacial Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
- Materials Theory Laboratory
- Mechanics of Slender Structures
- Microscopy Laboratory
- Nano Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Powder Metallurgy and X-ray Laboratory
- Surface Modification Laboratory